Well, there is "toasting" in ska as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWxxFCeM9nA

:thumbup:

Edited by skajerk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can someone explain the purpose that the vanguard toast serves?

or, the purpose that it served originally?

That's a good question. Though I have my own interpretation of what it may mean, I'd like to know that fact myself.

I will speculate:

1. It just looks classy, cool, and original... like SCV.

2. It's a simple gesture of acknowledgement to the crowd, as if to say "thanks" for the enthusiastic response (i.e. as in a bow or tip of the hat).

3. It (like so many other things about SCV) has just morphed into an iconic signature symbol of the corps.

I may have a resource to find out for sure. Stay tuned.

can someone explain the purpose that the vanguard toast serves?

or, the purpose that it served originally?

Okay... Word has it that it was "invented" by Scott Pearson, and apparently has no defined purpose beyond its being a unique, Vanguard specific signature pose.

My son marched SCVC in his first year with the organization, and I noticed then that SCVC carried over so many of the trademarks from the A Corps over the years. I think that the "Vanguard mystique" gives life to so many subtle layers of their programs, and they value those things and bring them back every now and then. It seems to serve several purposes, one being to internally carry the class, style and traditions of the corps forward, and likewise, to help audiences maintain a sense of familiarity with the corps as the decades roll along, even as they focus on staying innovative and true to their namesake. I think SCV 2007 is one of the best examples of this approach of understanding, valuing, and preserving an identity.

Other corps certainly keep their traditions in focus and in play throughout the design aspects of their programs (Troopers, Cavaliers, Pioneer, Mandarins, etc.), but no one does it like the Santa Clara Vanguard. It's truly a form of art with them.

Here's a "toast" to the Vanguard!