Comeback DCI fan

Hello everyone,

Been out of the DCI loop for a few years, last show I attended was '04 Allentown (I think).

Not sure what changed since then but I bought a pair of tickets for the '10 Allentown show. I was thinking of going to the finals in Indianapolis but tickets are too expensive for me.

What will I see/hear differently from 2004 to 2010? electronics? mics??? bigger corps?

Marc

According to the people on here, you'll hear marching band. But seeing as how these people are wrong, I'd suggest just checking things out for yourself and forming your own opinion. Yes, there will be electronics, amps, and bigger corps, but don't let some dude who marched back in the 1870's tell you if it's good or bad. See for yourself!

Also, welcome back! :thumbup:

Hello everyone,

Been out of the DCI loop for a few years, last show I attended was '04 Allentown (I think).

Not sure what changed since then but I bought a pair of tickets for the '10 Allentown show. I was thinking of going to the finals in Indianapolis but tickets are too expensive for me.

What will I see/hear differently from 2004 to 2010? electronics? mics??? bigger corps?

Marc

Don't prejudge. Don't listen to close minded, narrow minded, overly sensitive, cranky people, etc. Go with an open mind .And see what happens regarding the level of enjoyment that you'll receive. Good luck, and here's hoping you get your money's worth !

With no bias...

-Synthesizers

-Amped up pit

-150-piece corps

-Voice Narration

-80-piece hornlines or thereabouts

Can't think of much more.

Hello everyone,

Also, with no bias: I hope you will post on here after you go to Allentown, and tell whether things have changed so much that the experience of the activity is not what you remember from 2004 and before. At the least, it would be an interesting case study on whether the changes DCI have alienated RECENT audience members--as opposed to drum corps people "from the 1870s" (btw, to the earlier poster who used that phrase, that was a pretty insulting and immature way to characterize the people who made this activity possible).

With no bias...

-Synthesizers

-Amped up pit

-150-piece corps

-Voice Narration

-80-piece hornlines or thereabouts

Can't think of much more.

I was at allentown in 2004 with the OP, and in addition to copious amounts of rain, there were most definitely amped pits, and probably more narration then there was in 2009 (who knows for 2010). The other things you listed are still valid, of course.

All I can say is go in with an open mind. Not too much has changed since '04 except electronics and larger corps. It will be interesting to here your feedback. Hope you enjoy!

Marc

I'd say that you could be better armed with information about what has transpired by getting a subscription to the DCI Fan Network. Take your time and get familiar, then go to the show and see and hear for yourself.

It's money well spent, in my opinion.

According to the people on here, you'll hear marching band. But seeing as how these people are wrong, I'd suggest just checking things out for yourself and forming your own opinion. Yes, there will be electronics, amps, and bigger corps, but don't let some dude who marched back in the 1870's tell you if it's good or bad. See for yourself!

Also, welcome back! :thumbup:

Well it is marching band, but then again it was marching band "way back" in 2004 too. To the OP....It isn't that much different than in 2004 really. Like the others have said synths, larger bands and actually l would say there was less narration last year because the Cadets didn't say much and they always seemed to make up about 60% of the narration by themselves. :unsure: ..... It's still a great activity no matter what anyone wants to call it.

From a competitive standpoint, things keep getting more and more intense every year. The battle for medalist positions is driving some really outstanding program quality from the big dogs, and the fight for 12th place the last few seasons has looked like it could go to three to five corps up until the very end of the season.

Expect to see shows that you may have looked at in 2004 and said, "oh, that's a shoe-in for finals"--then consult the program and see that most of the field has yet to perform. I say, it's a great time to be a drum corps fan, especially if you like close-run races.