1988 Suncoast Sound

Had a conversation with an old friend the other day and we were talking about whether there were any "old shows" that would hold up in todays drum corps environment.

He mentioned 1988 Suncoast and was pretty adamant that it was as far ahead of it's time as 1993 Star was. I've heard about it, but I never saw that show live and haven't even seen a video of it.

I have some of the legacy DVD's but not that year.

Is there a source out there for to watch or even just listen to that show without purchasing the entire legacy series for that year (not my favorite year of drum corps, possibly because I was a bit out of touch there for a few years).

is my friend right? Would that show hold up? Even today? PM me if you need to.

One of my favorite shows, truly was ahead of it's time

I am always happy to be reminded of how much I miss Suncoast Sound. :tongue:

1988 Suncoast

IMO, a true revolutionary show as far as storytelling that can't be overlooked. You had to experience it live to really feel it. That show was WAAAAY ahead of it's time.

I've said it before on other threads: 2005 Cadets would not have been possible without Marc Sylvester and Karl Lowe and company trying a similiar thing 17 years earlier with Suncoast. (surreal fantasy, girl running around on the field taking us through the show's "story") Robert W. Smith's music and Karl Lowe's program design of "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child". I don't think the activity had seen much of anything quite like that show and what it was attempting to be. It was nothing like what everyone else was doing that year, IMO. And probably more than a few years ahead of it's time. It took a few live viewings for me to "get it" - but in the end, that show haunted me. If I had a time machine, I think THAT show would be my one choice from all four years that I marched (87-90) to go back and experience again. (with 87 SCV and Garfield being very close runners up. They didn't represent the same fundamental change or evolution of the activity, IMO. I just loved those shows.)

And I just can't say enough about the amazing colorguard from 88 Suncoast Sound. One of the finest examples of selling a show I've ever witnessed from the stands. Even if you didn't quite understand what was happening (for me, the first couple of times I saw it) they made you feel the intensity of what they were doing - and how seriously they took it as individuals.

One of my favorite shows, truly was ahead of it's time

Agree//just watched it a couple nights ago...shoulda placed higher...

Had a conversation with an old friend the other day and we were talking about whether there were any "old shows" that would hold up in todays drum corps environment.

He mentioned 1988 Suncoast and was pretty adamant that it was as far ahead of it's time as 1993 Star was. I've heard about it, but I never saw that show live and haven't even seen a video of it.

I have some of the legacy DVD's but not that year.

Is there a source out there for to watch or even just listen to that show without purchasing the entire legacy series for that year (not my favorite year of drum corps, possibly because I was a bit out of touch there for a few years).

is my friend right? Would that show hold up? Even today? PM me if you need to.

I just watched it on Google. As bizarre (and awesome) as I remembered!

Phenomenal guard work. There was a rifle feature by the "khakis" in the drum solo that was amazing.

The show, ehh, difficult, but it seemed to me to be "artsy" for artsy's sake.

One of the greatest opening statements...ever.

And one of the most unexpected musical endings....WHACK WHACK WHACK!!! ping....

Why, yes. That was how it went! Nice.

We followed them at contests so I was never able to see it from the front, but they sounded pretty darned good from the side.