Opinions on Vanguard 09-esque exits?

Very mixed thoughts on it

If I treat it as homage to the Cadets 87 I like it a lot but in a way it’s admittance that Cadets 87 hit it perfectly and is a failure of them to bring something new to the program

I think the more time that passes the less I’ll like that show. It was all about context and I feel it was the right show for them at that time but doubt it will hold up on its own over the years

Edited by cowtown

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV 1990 when the corps played the final notes from the exit ramp and the only people on the field was the guard and the pit.

And the hornline guys who were the guard's "death partners". I can still feel the shinsplints I got from jazz running across the field to meet her.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Or did we go four pages into a thread about SCV leaving the field to finish without mentioning the Phantom shows and the disappearing corps? Loved it. Loved this year's ending too. But as someone said, it's good for a change - not for all the time.

HH

Edited by glory

I thought that ending was one of the most elegant snippets in all the shows last year.

Both times I saw it, I was focused on the guard still on the field, and didn't even notice the corps exiting until the formation had already hit the far sideline. Maybe that's why I liked it so much -- sort of an element of misdirection and maybe (sorry to sound too sticky-sweet) a parent tiptoeing out of the bedroom after singing a baby to sleep.

For whatever reason, I thought it was great.