Opinions on Vanguard 09-esque exits?

A soft ending musically, yes (83....first time one of the big boys did it), but not the "whole corps leaving the field as part of the show" drill.

Ah, gotcha.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2009 SCV: Ballet for Martha

--A little more subtle, but since the show was essentially about Martha, it was fitting to have her be the focus of the final second, with SCV symbals lifting her up. At least, I think that was supposed to be a representation of Martha.

I loved the new ending. The cymbal lift at the end was gorgeous.

I know that for BD 2004, SCV 2006, and SCV 2009, they didn't do this field exit the entire year.

I have a couple of recordings on BD 04 where they do a ritard to the end to simulate an old train coming to a hault and another one where the music just fades out and then the bass drum starts tapping and they go off the field right away. (Then the one finals where they just go straight off the field)

For Scv 2006, I saw them mid-season and they were rehearsing the "tag" that they had at the end of their show (where they go straight off of the field at the end of the show) but then at the show I saw them, they didn't do it, the just marched off normal.

For SCV 2009, (probably most know this) they added the new exit later in the season. When I saw them live, they did a normal field exit but then when I watched them later in the season on Fan Network, they had their new exit. (I might also add/complain that I don't think they ever did their scv bass cadence this year....which was mildly disappointing :)

Oh and my opinion on the matter is that I think its cool when it is done right and it fits the show!

I've been seeing these pop up more recently lately. I saw it in Vanguard and I saw it in a few marching bands (the first one coming to mind is Kennesaw Mountain HS in Georgia). I'm talking about corps/band exiting the field during the show.

Call me a traditionalist, but it just seems, I dunno, anticlimactic. One of the great things about performing is watching the crowd cheer and all that. Going an entire season without truly facing your crowd, that sounds like it sucks TBH. What do you think?

Some of my favorite shows of all time have actually been a few of the times when SCV finished their show " not facing the crowd "..... but with a terrific ending befitting the show perfectly ( ie " Simple Gifts "requires an understated exit. Had there been a SCV rousing ending it would be wholly inappropriate for such a theme where subtlety is the inherent brilliance with the theme. SCV's" Russian Christmas Music", on the other hand, requires a rousing and celebratory ending. )

Conversely, some of my most unappealing shows were ones where a Corps faced the audience the whole time. These Corps shows I was hoping afterwards that they had stayed in the stadium tunnel the entire time as their shows were uninspiring and boring beyond belief.

Edited by BRASSO

Didn't Santa Clara use it back in 82 or 83?

Interesting story - there was another tune in the show, a 're-entry' type of tune. But we were overtime and had to cut it. When trying to figure out what to do, the decision was made to end soft, like the orchestral Appalachian Springl

Interesting story - there was another tune in the show, a 're-entry' type of tune. But we were overtime and had to cut it. When trying to figure out what to do, the decision was made to end soft, like the orchestral Appalachian Springl

I think that was an awesome choice, tho.

What WAS the original show closer?

2004 BD: The Summertrain Blues Mix

--Their exit symbolized a train exiting a train station, which I thought was pretty cool. It made the show better, IMO.

And if you were at Finals, the train entered a tunnel. Granted, a suitcase fell off the luggage car in the form of a tenor drummer, but it was recovered before the train disappeared into the night.

uh hello...SCV 90...up in the tunnel? I think they did something similar in 93 as well

uh hello...SCV 90...up in the tunnel? I think they did something similar in 93 as well

Ooooooo yeah....awesome way to end the show in 90.

93 was more similar to 87 Garfield, tho. 90 is the only time I remember a corps has used some part of the stadium aside from the back stands for a musical effect.