baritone, euphonium, or....mellophone?

Penn State

I will be accompany the organist for the Christmas Eve service. I was originally planning on playing mellophone. Since the transpostion (gotta love perfect 5ths) either puts you in the basement or the rafters, I'm thinking of just pulling out either the marching baritone or marching euphonium. I nay play one or two pieces on the mello but looking to stay in low brass land.

I'm leaning toward the eupho, but looking for some feedback...What do you feel would match up better with a pipe organ the baritone or euphonium? To specify the equipment. both are yamaha marching only horns in silverplate. mouthpiece will either be a Bach 3G 5G.

thanks for the help!!!

-contra chris

Buccaneers Alumni

I'm thinking Euphonium.

Then again, I'm biased.

What do you feel would match up better with a pipe organ the baritone or euphonium?

Either one. The organists have a multitude of registrations at their fingertips.

Leave the mellophone home. It's not what the church crowd wants as a Joyful Noise.

Either one. The organists have a multitude of registrations at their fingertips.

Leave the mellophone home. It's not what the church crowd wants as a Joyful Noise.

I've played mellophone at church several times, quite successfully. I see no problem. I mean, some people have a harsher, more abrasive mello tone (nothing wrong with that, just how some groups do it), but I mean, if you keep it deep and dark, It is fine.

I've played mellophone at church several times, quite successfully. I see no problem.

And your nick is crazymello. I gave advice to contrachris.

Euphonium!

However, due to intonation issues with marching euphs, you'd be pretty safe on a Bari.

And go with the 5G. I'm biased in saying this, but I believe they allow sufficient air with great control across the range of the horn

ha, didn't see that part. I just got the "mello doesn't sound right for the occasion" vibe from your post.

Well played

ha, didn't see that part. I just got the "mello doesn't sound right for the occasion" vibe from your post.

Don't worry on that. I pescribe to the the Al Perkins mellophone method. I've been using the IYM piece. Just due to practice time restraints, the upper register is not as solid as I would to have for a performance.

Euphonium!

However, due to intonation issues with marching euphs, you'd be pretty safe on a Bari.

And go with the 5G. I'm biased in saying this, but I believe they allow sufficient air with great control across the range of the horn

Love the euphonium...but I'll be taking the above advice...Thank you all and..

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!