What Are The Best Brass Instruments?

From having used them in the past as an instructor and band director, here are a few of my thoughts;

King - Baritones have horrible intonation on the thrid partials (open F), older Mellos are great

Jupiter - Mellophones have terrible 2nd partial (low C), Baritones and Euphoniums are prone to braces popping loose

Dynasty - Great horns for a great price, but can be problematic with fragility and valve guides

Yamaha - Mellophones are very thin and flat in the upper register

Kanstul - Great horns, but very pricey

Having followed this thread from the beginning, I see one recurring piece of misinformation: many people think that Kanstul horns are pricey. This is not the case. A quick visit to Woodwind & Brasswind's website told me what I already knew: Kanstul prices are comparable to - and in the case of marching baritones - actually lower than King or Yamaha.

Perhaps this perception stems from the fact that Kanstul does not offer endorsements or sponsorships to bands or corps. We are a small company and simply cannot afford to play that game, but what we do offer are the best marching horns available, at competitive prices.

Based on some statements I've read here, I wouldn't be too far off the mark in saying that most visitors to this forum have little to no experience playing a Kanstul. I urge every one of you to find one and compare it to the Dynasty, Yamaha, King or Jupiter your band already owns. I think you'd find that Kanstul marching brass offers better construction, intonation, response, balance and ability to blend almost across the board. Your mileage may vary, of course. Further, when you do find that Kanstul horns are better than what your program currently uses, I urge you to talk to your director and your boosters to acquire them.

One last reminder: Zig Kanstul is the father of all modern marching brass, period. His superior designs and improvements to marching instruments since his days with Olds, and later King, are undeniable.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a bass trombone/euphonium player, I have been lucky enough to test out the Dynasty, Yamaha, Kanstul, and King marching baritones. Here's a few thoughts-

Playing on the newish Yamaha Xeno Bass trombone myself, I have to say I'm a little partial to Yamaha. That being said, I really did like their baritone. It felt good in the hands, and their wasn't a whole lot of compensating that one had to do to play in tune. The only thing I have against the baritone is that I wish it could take more air without getting edgy. One BIG plus for going to Yamaha would be the Xeno Trumpets. I have quite a few friends that play on them, and they all swear by the horn's ability.

The King baritone by far was the most natural to carry. Great sound, good responsiveness, and I couldn't see or hear anything I didn't like (for the most part) about the horn. The only big drawback for me would be their trumpets. I have quite a few friends that just don't like them. Seeing that I have not played the horn myself, that judgement may be one that I am not qualified to make.

Hmm... Kanstul. Built like a tank, plays great, feels good. Solid horn, good resale, and would do very well on tour. The only drawback? They're expensive.

And now for Dynasty. Marching this horn last summer, I hate it. Pitch centers are all over the place in the upper register, there is a brace that gets in the way of holding the horn in the left hand, the sound is thin, and the horn feels stuffy. I was lucky (maybe haha) enough to get a brand spanking new horn for tour and found out it played worse than the older Dynastys. I actually ended up switching horns halfway through tour because I couldn't stand it anymore. The only redeeming quality for the Dynasty line is that they could go through a nuclear war and still come out fine.

Hope any of this helps.

Hi Matt Waters! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to say which are the "best brass instruments" but here are some of the bragging rights Kanstul has earned:

• Zig Kanstul's designs and innovations have been around for decades from the Olds bugles, to King to the horns built under his own name. Zig's designs have been copied by every manufacturer.
    Before the advent of Bb marching brass in DCI, five of the top six corps all played Kanstul G bugles. The Blue Devils won many championships and high brass titles with our bugles.
    The 3rd Infantry "Old Guard" Fife and Drum Corps performs on custom built single valve bugles from Kanstul.
    The US Marines Drum and Bugle Corps, the most widely traveled military band in the country, performs on two valve G bugles by Kanstul.
    The US Naval Academy performs on Kanstul G bugles.
    The only contrabass trombone produced in the USA - now widely used in orchestras and ensembles around the world. Recently three were used on the Danny Elfman soundtrack to Tim Burton's new film "Alice In Wonderland"
    Recently recreated the original JW York and Sons tubas last built in 1939. Principal tubists from major orchestras have all given glowing endorsements (more info to be released soon. sorry, our website is a bit behind).
    World class herald trumpets in five voices - Eb Soprano, Bb Melody, Bb Tenor, G Bass and Bb Bass - used by the US Army Band "President's Own" in Washington, DC.
    The only compensating system euphonium built in the USA, widely used by players on both sides of the Atlantic, from USAF Concert Band to the Foden's Brass Band in the UK
    Trumpets, cornets and flugelhorns used by the top artists and professionals in the industry - including many who endorse other brands!
    Zig Kanstul built trumpets for Herb Alpert, Rafael Méndez and Harry James, and Zig's trumpets are "the sound" you know from Earth, Wind & Fire, Tower of Power and The Tijuana Brass.
    A piccolo trumpet that, since its introduction, is coming to be recognized as the new standard.
    A new bass trumpet with better intonation, response and more open feel than the Bach. As well, ours are only about four to six weeks in production, unlike other brands, which can be months out.
    Professional trombones that have found their way into the hands of players in orchestras and studios around the world.
    Kanstul is a supplier to the industry, and has made parts, horns and provided services for everyone in North America except Yamaha and Cannonball.

If you've never played a Kanstul, come see us at TMEA next month and try one!

It's hard to say which are the "best brass instruments" but here are some of the bragging rights Kanstul has earned:

• Zig Kanstul's designs and innovations have been around for decades from the Olds bugles, to King to the horns built under his own name. Zig's designs have been copied by every manufacturer.
    Before the advent of Bb marching brass in DCI, five of the top six corps all played Kanstul G bugles. The Blue Devils won many championships and high brass titles with our bugles.
    The 3rd Infantry "Old Guard" Fife and Drum Corps performs on custom built single valve bugles from Kanstul.
    The US Marines Drum and Bugle Corps, the most widely traveled military band in the country, performs on two valve G bugles by Kanstul.
    The US Naval Academy performs on Kanstul G bugles.
    The only contrabass trombone produced in the USA - now widely used in orchestras and ensembles around the world. Recently three were used on the Danny Elfman soundtrack to Tim Burton's new film "Alice In Wonderland"
    Recently recreated the original JW York and Sons tubas last built in 1939. Principal tubists from major orchestras have all given glowing endorsements (more info to be released soon. sorry, our website is a bit behind).
    World class herald trumpets in five voices - Eb Soprano, Bb Melody, Bb Tenor, G Bass and Bb Bass - used by the US Army Band "President's Own" in Washington, DC.
    The only compensating system euphonium built in the USA, widely used by players on both sides of the Atlantic, from USAF Concert Band to the Foden's Brass Band in the UK
    Trumpets, cornets and flugelhorns used by the top artists and professionals in the industry - including many who endorse other brands!
    Zig Kanstul built trumpets for Herb Alpert, Rafael Méndez and Harry James, and Zig's trumpets are "the sound" you know from Earth, Wind & Fire, Tower of Power and The Tijuana Brass.
    A piccolo trumpet that, since its introduction, is coming to be recognized as the new standard.
    A new bass trumpet with better intonation, response and more open feel than the Bach. As well, ours are only about four to six weeks in production, unlike other brands, which can be months out.
    Professional trombones that have found their way into the hands of players in orchestras and studios around the world.
    Kanstul is a supplier to the industry, and has made parts, horns and provided services for everyone in North America except Yamaha and Cannonball.

If you've never played a Kanstul, come see us at TMEA next month and try one!

I do have to say that Kanstul Brass has a lot of good things going for it. The only problem for drum corps is that you guys dont offer bulk deals as you stated earlier.

For anyone that is looking for a new trombone though, I would definitely check out the Kanstul line.

I do have to say that Kanstul Brass has a lot of good things going for it. The only problem for drum corps is that you guys dont offer bulk deals as you stated earlier.

For anyone that is looking for a new trombone though, I would definitely check out the Kanstul line.

Thank you for the mention of our trombones.

It's true, we don't offer "bulk deals", but I think you'd find that the other companies can no longer afford to either. Sponsorships / endorsements are drying up as the economy changes. On a horn-by-horn basis, however, we compare quite favorably.

Remember, Kanstul is a small company. We don't have the marketing power to promote a drum corps, nor to sponsor anyone with a set of horns. The larger companies can offset the price of horns by selling other lines such as percussion or woodwind products. What we do offer is the best horn on the market.

I have played King and Olds and dynasty in two valve G. I currently play a 3 vavle Dynasty which I have little complaint except for the plastic valve guides which are probably standard today. (not sure though)

I'd like to get hold of a Kanstul someday to compare.

If our fundraising goes well, who knows, that Kanstul line may be possible. Bugles in G of course.

If I had to equip a large Junior Hornline, I'd consider Kanstul or King.

If I was equiping a small Hornline I'd go Kanstul for sure.

Note: If my orginazation ever places an order I'm taking time off from work to pick the order up in person.

Having read through this thread, here's my advice: Take the best deal over any recommendation made here. In the long run, the financial impact will be more meaningful than any musical advantage perceived.

HH

I totally agree. Not to minimize differences in quality and craftsmanship as I am sure there are legit differences. I know I always had King envy when I was marching with DEG's and Dynasty in the 80s. The quality of teaching and talent of the kids has a MUCH greater impact on the quality of sound than the brand of instrument. Listen to 1986 Suncoast Sound. I believe they produced some of the sweetest drum corps goodness I have ever heard on crappy DEGs.

I'd narrow it down to 3 or so lines that are of acceptable quality and take the best financial deal I can get from that group.

Listen to 1986 Suncoast Sound. I believe they produced some of the sweetest drum corps goodness I have ever heard on crappy DEGs.

And boy, where they crappy. You can thank Robert Smith, Frank Williams, John Fulton, Carol Allen and Larry Clark for how well that hornline played, despite the worst horns I've ever played on (except the contras, they were the new DEG Magnums).