How many years did you march in DCI

How many years did you march in DCI  

316 members have voted

1. 1. Choose how many years you marched in DCI... Not DCA does not count

When i said mental maturity aside, i meant outside of a 10 year old not being mentally mature for drum corps (any instrument any section, from trumpet to contra, from triangle to tenors, from straight up dance to rifle work), i began referring to playing ability and physical ability to hold up the instrument. I would think that cymbals would be the only thing that MAYBE a 10 year old could physically play effectively out of the battery. Those field drums can wreck havoc on a still prepubescent spine. The only thing i'm saying about cymbals, is that they are potentially light enough for a 10 year old to handle. I understand playing cymbals is a cross between pit and guard, rhythm and athletic dancing.

Well, obviously they're not going to give a 10 year old the same type of drum the the Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, or any other top World Class drum corps uses. I've seen drums that are made for little kids to carry and play that are no where near as heavy, and are actually light enough.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a girl that started when she was 10 with another corps. This summer will be her third with my corps and she'll turn 15 on tour. I thiink I remember her saying she'll age out in 2016 or '17. That's either 12 or 13 years total. I'm jealous (kind of.. I'm sure my body isn't) that this year, she's in her 6th year and that's all I'll get to march (DCI) total.

Only 1. :rolleyes:

If he aged out at 22, he could have potentially been the age of 3 when he started doing something with the corps. It's still ridiculous, and I don't believe it, but i just want to throw that out there...

He did start at 3 and age out at 22. And if you don't believe the alumni listing on the Blue Devils' own web site, he marched with well over a thousand people who could verify it. ;-)

I only marched in DCI Championships in 1972, 1973, 1976, 1979 and 1980. But I marched 16 years with the same junior drum and bugle corps. (My corps chose to attend other shows in the years we did not go to DCI Championships to help build the corps. Worked great too, since we came home with the local paper's headline stating "Kingsmen Place 3rd at National Championships" after the American Legion in 1974 and 1975, and "Kingsmen Win National Championship" after 1978. Recruitment jumped dramatically and it helped local fundraising too).

I only marched 5 years. Did a 6th on cooking staff. Had I known about it earlier, I would have done it earlier. But I was 17 when I first heard about the activity. It was those vets who came off a tour of corps with 5 years of stories from a single 3 month tour. With some folk lore about a mythical instrument the size of a school bus that could be played by mere mortals. I just had to see it for myself. Maybe not a school bus, but that King 2 valve Euph sure made your marching band baritone look a bit like a piccolo flute. At least when you're that young and not yet full grown.

so he marched at the age of 1? I'd believe the A corps experience, its not completely impossible. Potentially the B corps stuff, but no way on the C corps.

i'm interested in how someone was able to march at 10. Mental maturity aside, how was one able to be good enough on their instrument, and physically able to carry anything heavier than a trumpet. no way to make a field percussion spot (MAYBE cymbals, MAYBE) and tall enough and have big enough hands to be able to efficiently play mallets? I suppose guard is an option, but i would think a 10 year old wouldn't be able to spin a flag without it hitting the group during drop spins...

When I first started, I played soprano, and my brother did, in fact, play cymbals. He was 10, I was 12.

He did start at 3 and age out at 22. And if you don't believe the alumni listing on the Blue Devils' own web site, he marched with well over a thousand people who could verify it. ;-)

I taught marching band with him. Just ask him and he'll tell you...

over and over and over and over....