Demographics of Marching Members Today

Marching Member Demographics  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a current marching member ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are you a music major (any degree) ?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. How far did you travel to camps?

• 1 hr or less (drive)
    • 2-4 hr (drive)
    • 4-6 hr (drive)
    • 6-8hr (drive)
    • 8-12hr (drive)
    • >12hr (drive)
    • 1 hr (flight)
    • 2 hr (flight)
    • 3 hr (flight)
    • 4 hr (flight)
    • > 4hr (flight)
    • International Flight

As long as you have the time, driving is cheaper (if you're old enough to drive). Depends on the car I guess. Bought a new one, a cheap one, with a decent gas mileage rating. $10K car over 10 years is $1K per year. Peanuts compared to other things. It takes it's toll though.

In Jr. Corps I had to drive 3 hours (well someone else did, I didn't have a license (kid)). To catch a corps bus to drive another 8 hours. No better way to spend a Friday afternoon IMO. 8 hours on a bus with fellow corps nuts. So many stories, songs, and other life is great memories.

In all-age, I've done the 1,200 mile away thing. 22.5 hours of driving (actual road hours). Plus a couple hours sleeping at rest stops in route to help keep it safe. 100 gallons of gas per camp weekend. $300 at the time. Relative to flying $200+ with a rental car requirement at destination $150, and lodging. It was just cheaper to drive. Luggage was free, take a second passenger and your costs get cut in half. Worst case, sleep in your car. Aside from the oil change every camp it's serviceable if you have the time. Most competitive corps are 200 miles away so 3 to 4 hours driving EACH WAY per camp / event now. One tank of gas $30-ish. It can be a bit demanding if you make it a day trip. 7 hours driving plus 10+ hours rehearsing... takes it's toll.

Marched 08 at the time senior in high school but decided to go into engineering. Drive down to Toledo was an hour and 35 minutes according to the GPS but it only took an hour and 10 :rolleyes:

Current MM- Still in HS

08- Good 4-5 hour drive

09- Long 16+ hour drive

10- 6 hour flight + 2hour train ride

just curious from where to where was 16+ hours?

just curious from where to where was 16+ hours?

I'd belive it. In '02 I made a 24 hour drive to a camp I usually flew 3-4 hours for. I only did that once.

seems like alot of Engineers in here.

Music Composition Major.

Current member.

06-08 was a 20 minute drive. But camp sites would change to accommodate all members driving times so when that happened it ranged from 2 min(my high school) to an hour and 30.

09-10 If the camps are in texas 3 1/2 hour flight. Ohio 5 hour flight one hour bus ride.