Ideas: What is good for all corps? We need solutions!

Well...what happens the rest of the week? They still have to feed and house the members. Where do they find housing willing to allow members to stay for days on end, week after week?

Why would members want to join a world class level corps that is only going to compete on the weekend? It would still be costly, only with less return on the time and $$$ spent.

Mike,

You marched in the Garfield Cadets in the early '70's and you don't know? What did you do during the week? Think back.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great in concept - execution is another thing. Transportation costs are the issue. If you lease tractors for your equipment trailer and your kitchen trailer, it's not cost effective to lease one just for weekends. Same applies to busses. If you have a lease for the duration of the summer, you need to be traveling from gig to gig to perform. Performances = performance fee$ and $ouvenir $ale$. The costs do not go away with weekend drum corps, but the revenues do. The weekend leases (if you could manage to get them) would cost more than the lease for the summer. There are only maybe 2 corps on that list above that might be able to survive on that model. And you included a top 8 corps in your list that would need to be replaced.

Oops! Blue Stars finished in the "Top 8" at 2009 DCI Finals! They have been replaced by a new corps.

I did not say that the costs go away with weekend drum corps. They are greatly reduced, however.

Also the burden placed on the volunteers is greatly reduced. With "Weekend Drum Corps", people can do things like have jobs and take care of family during the week!

I realize that many people do not like the idea of "Weekend Drum Corps". I simply want to point out that it can be a viable alternative for some.

Some corps will tour, regardless! But requiring All corps to tour is destructive for some. The WC Touring Corps model does not work for all corps! Our past, and the numbers of corps it has killed, proves it.

Just my humble opinion,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

Create events that appeal to more than just the Drum Corps Fan.

Broader audience, Broader Appeal=More People

More Opportunities to expose this great activity.

4corpsvote.jpg

Thanks, Steve! It is good to see someone with a bit broader vison of what drum corps is, and can become, contribute to the conversation. Your input is very welcome!

Ron Gunn

I did not say that the costs go away with weekend drum corps. They are greatly reduced, however.

It depends on the implementation. Fewer corps means larger distances between them. Weekend only might mean driving from Texas to Florida one weekend. Then driving from Texas to Georgia the next weekend. Where if you had the week to stay around, you'd cut your transportation fuel costs in half. Factor in fewer shows and fewer performance fees. Possibly fewer members to draw dues from to fund the endeavor. And about all that you're gaining is a day or two off during the week. Where you might otherwise have none. If you rent a fleet of vehicles the rates for 4 weekends might exceed the rate for a solid month. I know when I blew up my car engine in 2005, I was paying $150 a weekend to rent a car to make it to camps. While I shopped around for a car that I hadn't planned on purchasing. Just because you're weekend only doesn't mean that you're paying any less for the various insurances and such, and you're probably paying more if you have to store your vehicles somewhere.

More local parade and exhibition corps that could include all kids, not just the very wealthy.

Local ciruits and a nationals tour.

Not all kids make the band at school. Some just need that creative outlet, but if you cannot afford it, you cannot participate in it. I am not sure that I would march and pay the fees that kids pay today to be in a top corps, especially if the music is not fun to perform. Yeah, it has all been said before. :tongue:

And I am one of those music major types too!

Whatever happened the the 21st Century Foundation?,............................haven't heard much about them in a while,....

Anyway, a group like this could run fundraising efforts involving ALL corps and corps member participation on a once a year, national scale, then possibly award grants, sponsorships, run shows in new and untapped areas, etc.

Thank you very much, Gary! Now that's a positive bit of input! I am sure that the Foundation is alive and well. Steve Vickers is the man to ask. From what I know, the Foundation is about resurrecting corps and seeding new corps! It would be fabulous if a large portion of that Million Dollars could go to the Foundation!

For all drum corps,

Ron Gunn

Hey Ron,

Want a sneak PreVIEW of NightBEAT MMX?

Which means you HAVE TO BEEEEE THEEEERRREEEE again this year . . .!

VOTE 4 THE CORPS

4corpsvote.jpg

Hi again, Steve!

A sneak preview? Sure! Be there? It is on my schedule! (See tour plans post)

My question to you is, does Crown have any use for an additional volunteer in June, 2010?

Ron Gunn

Hi again, Steve!

A sneak preview? Sure! Be there? It is on my schedule! (See tour plans post)

My question to you is, does Crown have any use for an additional volunteer in June, 2010?

Ron Gunn

You would need to ask the CrownOFFICE . . .

NightBEAT PreVIEW . . . Stay tuned . . .