2009 Finals DVD's

The only thing I don't like about the 2009 DVD's is that huge black drape in the back

It's just strange watching drum corps with that huge backdrop in the back - and I agree, the high cam wasn't high enough

What I did enjoy though, was the fact that since it was indoors, all the corps got to perform in the exact same environment. I used to find it really sad when I watched the lower tier drum corps having to perform their last show in a windstorm or with half the field totally shaded.

That said - I would still prefer an outdoor venue - but there are "some" plusses to having it indoors - especially if you're a guard person :thumbup:

Later,

Mike

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously have no issues with the high cam... I can see everything just fine from there.

I got mine a while ago, but didn't post any comments...generally, they're ok, but I thought the sound level was way too low...I had to turn up the volume considerably as compared to past year's DVDs.....Plus I felt the high cam seemed farther away rather than high...You can still see everything...but it seems to be at a distance and not as high as previous DVDs....

The only thing I don't like about the 2009 DVD's is that huge black drape in the back

It's just strange watching drum corps with that huge backdrop in the back - and I agree, the high cam wasn't high enough

Actually, I liked the black backdrop. Maybe I've been to a few too many WGI finals in my life, but I always liked the fact that the black backdrop gave each guard a uniformly neutral canvas from which to stage its show (and it also advertises the organization running the show). It also removes a lot of the clutter from the back stands and gives a much cleaner look. I like it, but that's just me.

Given all the complaints about echo in the stadium, I was amazed at how crisp the sound quality is. So, whether it happened onsite or in the mixing studio (or some combination of the two), kudos to the audio technicians who made that happen.

Going back to my earlier comments about BD vs. Crown: OK, having watched them again today via the mixed angles, I get it. It's not just that BD is using chairs, but it's what they're doing on the chairs that makes them so outstanding. I remember getting that when I saw them in Buffalo, but I sort of forgot about when I watched them again on the DVD via the high(er)-cam angle. Watching both shows again, they're both outstanding, but I think the placement was the correct one.

Edited by byline

Going back to my earlier comments about BD vs. Crown: OK, having watched them again today via the mixed angles, I get it. It's not just that BD is using chairs, but it's what they're doing on the chairs that makes them so outstanding. I remember getting that when I saw them in Buffalo, but I sort of forgot about when I watched them again on the DVD via the high(er)-cam angle. Watching both shows again, they're both outstanding, but I think the placement was the correct one.

Oh thank goodness! I thought I was the only one who thought this. Both had amazing shows, but for some reason... Blue Devils seemed to be the clear winner after watching both shows many times. Aw well. Season is over. Can't do anything about it. xD

OK, I can buy that. Anyone else?

I guess the question I have is, should what I perceive to be greater visual demand from Crown (even if not executed as well as BD) trump BD's execution, with all other things being equal? Oh, I know; old argument! :smile:

What part of the judging sheets gives the points for attempted demand? (Hint: they don't.)

Don't get me wrong, I liked Crown better than BD last year, too... but BD was really really REALLY clean.

What I did enjoy though, was the fact that since it was indoors, all the corps got to perform in the exact same environment. I used to find it really sad when I watched the lower tier drum corps having to perform their last show in a windstorm or with half the field totally shaded.

That said - I would still prefer an outdoor venue - but there are "some" plusses to having it indoors - especially if you're a guard person :smile:

Later,

Mike

I actually like the black backdrop. When someone who has no idea about the activity sees it, they won't think "Why are all the stands empty? This thing must not be very popular."

People have actually said that to me, and I guess they can't put two and two together that there's only one sideline to face.

Actually, I liked the black backdrop. Maybe I've been to a few too many WGI finals in my life, but I always liked the fact that the black backdrop gave each guard a uniformly neutral canvas from which to stage its show (and it also advertises the organization . It also removes a lot of the clutter from the back stands and gives a much cleaner look. I like it, but that's just me.

Given all the complaints about echo in the stadium, I was amazed at how crisp the sound quality is. So, whether it happened onsite or in the mixing studio (or some combination of the two), kudos to the audio technicians who made that happen.

Agree. I guess that's what makes the BD so intriguing is that they make it all look so effortless which is probably why the judges gave them the proper placement (as they see so much more up close) but for many of us at first glance don't realize all the activity going on.

:smile: