Anaheim's "The Yard Went On Forever" concert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTdjWM-hzPg ... though how the church photos are supposed to connect with this song, is a mystery to me.

Remember when corps did a "concert" number in their shows? Well, the only Jim Webb song that could compete with his cryptic, pithy "Mac Arthur's Park" [notably done by the Kilties] was... was this other equally cryptic, pithy Mac Park-ish piece also by Jim Webb [notably done --at least the version most directly off the record-- by Anaheim].

Who, then, can we thank for Anaheim's version?

PS: the only other recording [aside from the Bridgemen's '72 concert: a different approach] I've ever heard --again, in 40 years-- is a "Mystic Moods Orchestra" version that cleverly combines BOTH "Mac Park" and "Yard", entitled "The Web of Jim Collage". Read that title again. It includes, apparently in typical MMO fashion, non-singing voices and surprisingly appropriate sound effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTdjWM-hzPg ... though how the church photos are supposed to connect with this song, is a mystery to me.

Remember when corps did a "concert" number in their shows? Well, the only Jim Webb song that could compete with his cryptic, pithy "Mac Arthur's Park" [notably done by the Kilties] was... was this other equally cryptic, pithy Mac Park-ish piece also by Jim Webb [notably done --at least the version most directly off the record-- by Anaheim].

Who, then, can we thank for Anaheim's version?

PS: the only other recording [aside from the Bridgemen's '72 concert: a different approach] I've ever heard --again, in 40 years-- is a "Mystic Moods Orchestra" version that cleverly combines BOTH "Mac Park" and "Yard", entitled "The Web of Jim Collage". Read that title again. It includes, apparently in typical MMO fashion, non-singing voices and surprisingly appropriate sound effects.

It was also Garfield's 1969 concert...the year before I joined. My friends and I who went to local shows in NJ to see them, BS, St Lucy's, Audobon, etc...used to call it "The Concert Went on Forever". :thumbup:

I'm almost certain that Anaheim's '69 arrangement of "Yard," as well as much of their program, was by Ken Norman (responsible for the Kilties' '68 championship book). If "Yard" was Anaheim's counterpart to the Kilties "MacArthur Park," their out-of-concert version of "MacNamara's Band" sounds like a similar spinoff of "Chattanooga Choo Choo." Kenny was doing great stuff then...

• 1 month later...
I'm almost certain that Anaheim's '69 arrangement of "Yard," as well as much of their program, was by Ken Norman (responsible for the Kilties' '68 championship book). If "Yard" was Anaheim's counterpart to the Kilties "MacArthur Park," their out-of-concert version of "MacNamara's Band" sounds like a similar spinoff of "Chattanooga Choo Choo." Kenny was doing great stuff then...

Ken Norman :tongue:

their out-of-concert version of "MacNamara's Band" sounds like a similar spinoff of "Chattanooga Choo Choo."

Truth be told:

Choo Choo was first written for, and rejected, by the Blue Stars.

MacNamara's was similarly crafted for the St. Patrick Imperials.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Truth be told:

Choo Choo was first written for, and rejected, by the Blue Stars.

MacNamara's was similarly crafted for the St. Patrick Imperials.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure".

There was a Beatles tune crafted in that era (possibly by the same musical wizard) that the Kilties considered putting on the field in 1969 in place of "Yes, Indeed" Name that tune, who penned it, and what corps (if any) ended up playing it

Edited by jras

I don't recall exactly where (it was 41 years ago for god's sake) but being at a small, mesquito infested stadium in Wisconsin - it may have been Wilmot, WI - where the Kilts and the Kingsmen horn lines meshed in a large arc during retreat and proceeded to play 'Mac's Park' and 'Yard' both penned by one Ken Norman.

As a fourteen year old rookie in 1969, I can tell you it was one of the most gorgeous sounds I'd ever heard. Oddly, when I recently asked Ken to share his memory of that and to shed some light on the details of how that came together, he reminded me he was pulling military duty during most of that summer and never got to see it. WHAT A SHAME!!

Are there any Kilts or Kingsmen out there who remember this glorious night?