Star of Indiana 1991

Positive it was 91.

But maybe Phantom not Cadets.

I do distinctly remember that those in my area had Star, based on performance, 3-4.

For SCV, that was the Miss Siagon show, right? They sold it that night.

Point is, it was the design that saved Star, not their performance.

Yeah, I remember that night SCV was electric !! Performance - wise, although Star seemed a bit ragged, it was one of those epic , haleys comet-type events that you just knew it was destiny, kinda, sorta thing.......they owned that field, Cavaliers were surgical, Phantom, was emotional, but Star was fufilling what they set out to do in 1985.....it all came together and was just one unbelievable moment !!

G

The field that year truly belonged to Star. That having been said I do not see how they tied drums with SCV and Cavies.

Why did Star win in 1991?

One word: Mellophones. :smile:

Seriously..... they had a great show that season. Honestly, it took a few viewings of it for me to realize how excellent that show/performance was.

Fran

Definitely agree there. I can't imagine what the 1st mello, or for that matter the entire mello line parts must have looked like on paper. Especially Pines of the Village Borghese and the runs in the closer. Not only that, but the movement in drill, and how to control that sound. Those guys were amazing.

Cant wait to see the alumni this year at semis. Good luck guys.

Fran: You are too kind.

Sam: Pines of Rome looked a little like this:

Pines_M1_Blur.jpg

See you at CNY!!!

They had it split, half on each side of the front sideline.

I'm also guessing that this show was the last instance of marching bells in DCI.

Mike

There's one part of the pit book (3:34 on my CDs) where the left and right pit sections trade phrases, creating a neat stereo effect. Really cool to hear through headphones!

Not at all.... the Star mellos were absolutely off the hook in '91.

I gotta be honest.... during my six years on French horn with DCA's Sunrisers, our brass arranger John Arietano really challenged our midrange voices with some great stuff....... but it was like child's play compared to those Star mellophones. Wow.

Fran

Sam: Pines of Rome looked a little like this:

Pines_M1_Blur.jpg

See you at CNY!!!

I am curious- we hear about "breathing gym", and other techniques used now to help improve stamina while playing and moving. However, what exercises/ techniques did you all use to play like you did, and move like you did in that show?

I am also amazed at mellophone parts in 1990. Esepcially the mellophone parts in the last 2 minutes, going into the star, and the push to the company front- emotional and amazing. I might be biased in saying this, as 1990 is my favorite show, from any corps. But to see you guys play that, everytime I watch it- I am still in awe what you guys

accomplished. Even in times now, where we see corps like Crown and Cadets, with movement and sound that is

amazing- I still find myself comparing.

I understand it might be "chapters" to explain how you did it- (or you might just say "breathe, dah"). But like Rondinaro said at the end of your show, "thats tough to play, even sitting down"- I definitely agree with that statement.

See you at CNY as well.