Reverse the Rules

BRASSO-

I appreciate and concur with your earlier statement (below)

"I also think it's ludicrous for a show designer to have to EXPLAIN his show theme, music, visual to a judge before the season, so that the judge " gets it ". Man, what a stupid and backward concept. If your show theme is not conveyed in a coherent and appealing way to a JUDGE on the field of competition, then the show theme is disjointed and incoherent.... and should be judged as such. A show by a show producer or performer needs to be " sold " on the stage ( ie field ), not with the critic ( or in the case of DCI, the judge ) at some bistro over cocktails down the street from the theatre before the show opens on Broadway (or before the competition season in the case of DCI )."

You nailed one of the reasons why the current activity seems so astray. If a judge, someone who has extensive exposure to where this activity is (and was), needs to be led by the hand through the presentation, one can only imagine how difficult it must be for a regular paying customer to fully appreciate and be positively moved by what's provided.

Seems to me, if too many of our customers leave saying "It was good, but I didn't really get it," our potential for growth is limited.

I'm not too much a fan of great ballet. During my 59 years, I can't remember ever wanting to purchase a ticket to see it live. I also know great ballet is not presented in the same manner, with the same results as, say, pro football. Ballet is a more intimate experience, but for a far smaller consumer base.

But . . .

in answer to this topic's challenge, I'd say any performance from the late seventies to the late eighties.

Please don't misinterpret. I am convinced DCI will find a formula that will again work for me. I'm thinking that's when DCI's directors realize moving through the elusive "final frontier" requires it to present itself somewhere OTHER than a football field.

:w00t:

We ar of like mind on this topic, Fred.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic