Sun Devils February Camp Report

~ "If music be the food of love, play on" ~

The Sun Devils Drum and Bugle Corps completed another successful camp this weekend as part of preparations for their third competitive season. Work on the 2010 program "A Night at the Globe" is well advanced, with all sections having received their complete musical books at previous camps. The goal for the weekend was for all sections to learn the first movement drill.

dc6jbrt6_21grqknhd3_b.jpg

Saturday dawned cool and rainy and after a brief welcome and announcements, the corps was led through their morning stretch, movement, and running block by recent staff addition David Bolzman. The corps then headed immediately to the field for the first drill block of the season. Progress was remarkably swift for the first session and when the corps broke for lunch at noon, almost half of the drill was on the field. In an effort to maximize field time and avoid impending darkness, the afternoon schedule was reorganized and the corps returned immediately to the drill field after lunch and by time the afternoon break arrived the corps was able to run nearly three minutes of drill several times. Saturday evening was devoted to sectionals and the twelve hour day was topped off with a music ensemble block and saw the return of "Panda", a Sun Devils charter member, filling the last open spot in the horn line.

dc6jbrt6_22fhrtdghn_b.jpg

Despite a remarkably cold winter by Florida standards, typical February weather asserted itself Sunday.

After lunch and a short sectional block the corps returned to the field for the first full ensemble rehearsal of the year, where many were surprised to find that the guard had learned approximately a minute of practice work to accompany the drill. Just over an hour after the ensemble block began, the corps accomplished its primary goal for the weekend: a complete marching and playing run of the first movement.

With over three minutes of the show now on the field, the Sun Devils will devote the next camp weekend ( March 13th&14th ) to cleaning the first movement and preparing the musical ensemble to learn the second and third movement drill at the first April camp. The corps is still looking for a few guard members and a tenor player to fill out the 2010 lineup. Anyone interested in filling these spots should click the "Join" button on the Sun Devils website to register for the next camp and receive further information. We look forward to seeing everyone on the field this season!

~ "Nothing can come of nothing" ~

Edit: There is a need for a Tenor player. We have the tympanist position filled.

Edited by John M. Johnson

Great news!!! A few of my students were saying good things about the corps, I guess they have friends in the corps. I am very proud of all that you have accomplished and this year should be awesome!

~ "If music be the food of love, play on" ~

The Sun Devils Drum and Bugle Corps completed another successful camp this weekend as part of preparations for their third competitive season. Work on the 2010 program "A Night at the Globe" is well advanced, with all sections having received their complete musical books at previous camps. The goal for the weekend was for all sections to learn the first movement drill.

dc6jbrt6_21grqknhd3_b.jpg

Saturday dawned cool and rainy and after a brief welcome and announcements, the corps was led through their morning stretch, movement, and running block by recent staff addition David Bolzman. The corps then headed immediately to the field for the first drill block of the season. Progress was remarkably swift for the first session and when the corps broke for lunch at noon, almost half of the drill was on the field. In an effort to maximize field time and avoid impending darkness, the afternoon schedule was reorganized and the corps returned immediately to the drill field after lunch and by time the afternoon break arrived the corps was able to run nearly three minutes of drill several times. Saturday evening was devoted to sectionals and the twelve hour day was topped off with a music ensemble block and saw the return of "Panda", a Sun Devils charter member, filling the last open spot in the horn line.

dc6jbrt6_22fhrtdghn_b.jpg

Despite a remarkably cold winter by Florida standards, typical February weather asserted itself Sunday.

After lunch and a short sectional block the corps returned to the field for the first full ensemble rehearsal of the year, where many were surprised to find that the guard had learned approximately a minute of practice work to accompany the drill. Just over an hour after the ensemble block began, the corps accomplished its primary goal for the weekend: a complete marching and playing run of the first movement.

With over three minutes of the show now on the field, the Sun Devils will devote the next camp weekend ( March 13th&14th ) to cleaning the first movement and preparing the musical ensemble to learn the second and third movement drill at the first April camp. The corps is still looking for a few guard members and an experienced timpanist to fill out the 2010 lineup. Anyone interested in filling these spots should click the "Join" button on the Sun Devils website to register for the next camp and receive further information. We look forward to seeing everyone on the field this season!

~ "Nothing can come of nothing" ~

I enjoyed my recent visit with the Sun Devils, and I was much impressed. I know you will have a great year. Hope you get to read my interview with Mark Cole in an upcoming issue of Drum Corps World. :lookaround:Art

I enjoyed my recent visit with the Sun Devils, and I was much impressed. I know you will have a great year. Hope you get to read my interview with Mark Cole in an upcoming issue of Drum Corps World. :lookaround:Art

Thank you! We will definitely look for it. And thanks for stopping by our little corner of Florida.

Hey Artie!

Sorry I missed you! Eddie told me you guys caught up during your last visit. The Sun Devils are definately off to a great start this year. Hope to catch up soon!!!

This weekend was worth going for the nice weather alone! mid 70's have been rare up in north florida this winter. I had a blast this weekend, and am very excited for the March camp! Better rest up now while I can... :lookaround::blink:

:blink::blink:

Edited by JoshKegley

Cold again today! Brrrrrr

How is the weather in Texas?

We are back to COLD here in Florida again this week. high of 50.