A Norwegian in DCI 2011

Hi again,

First of all, thank you very much for all your replies and PMs. You have all really blown my expextations for what kind of replies I would get! :worthy:

The last two days have been really amazing for me, and I've learned a lot of what I need to do :worthy:

I've also got messages for a few corps to play with them. Of these, Pioneer tickled my interest the most, as i have some connection to the Field Band Foundation. In addition, they had place for me this year, so I can get some experience already this year. I have not yet decided wether or not to go. It will probably boil down to wether or not time and money is on my side.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, one more question: In terms of preparation, is marching in a military corps help me towards marching in drum corps?

How did you discover drum corps? I'm always interested in how this occurs for people outside the US and Canada.

I first discovered drum corps when I was browsing trough a thread on a Norwegian brass band forum. One of the members there had posted a link to a youtube video with parts of the Blue Devils 2006 show. I was blown away; it was awesome! I found some more videos and my interest grew. (come to think about it, copyright violatin is to blame for showing me drum corps :worthy: ) Then I discovered Blast!, got myself some dvds, and started dreaming. I came in contact with some musicians from FBF who were studying in Norway, and they recommended that I did it. I've finally made a rough plan for my life a few years ahead, and I can start planning my own drum corps experience. To do that, I needed to know more, and for such purposes, nothing beats an internet forum :worthy:

I'm now one of a few people in Norway who owns a marching baritone (I know of two more in addition to a brass band).

That is my story in short :worthy:

You may also want to look at the Colts. I know they still have openings for at least 2 or 3 baritones/euphoniums in 2010. In the last few years they have had international members from England, Netherlands and Japan, and also do video auditions. Take a look at www.colts.org for instructions on how to send in a video and good luck!

I first discovered drum corps when I was browsing trough a thread on a Norwegian brass band forum. One of the members there had posted a link to a youtube video with parts of the Blue Devils 2006 show. I was blown away; it was awesome! I found some more videos and my interest grew. (come to think about it, copyright violatin is to blame for showing me drum corps :worthy: ) Then I discovered Blast!, got myself some dvds, and started dreaming. I came in contact with some musicians from FBF who were studying in Norway, and they recommended that I did it. I've finally made a rough plan for my life a few years ahead, and I can start planning my own drum corps experience. To do that, I needed to know more, and for such purposes, nothing beats an internet forum :worthy:

I'm now one of a few people in Norway who owns a marching baritone (I know of two more in addition to a brass band).

That is my story in short :worthy:

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. I've gotten to hear a few Norwegian brass bands when I've lived in Europe. You've got some fine groups up there.

I first discovered drum corps when I was browsing trough a thread on a Norwegian brass band forum. One of the members there had posted a link to a youtube video with parts of the Blue Devils 2006 show. I was blown away; it was awesome! I found some more videos and my interest grew. (come to think about it, copyright violation is to blame for showing me drum corps :worthy: ) Then I discovered Blast!, got myself some dvds, and started dreaming.

Hmmm, an illegal clip on youtube led to the purchase of DVD's.

I've also got messages for a few corps to play with them. Of these, Pioneer tickled my interest the most, as i have some connection to the Field Band Foundation. In addition, they had place for me this year, so I can get some experience already this year. I have not yet decided wether or not to go. It will probably boil down to wether or not time and money is on my side.

Don't think twice about doing it, as long as you've got everything taken care of with your money/work/school situation...just do it.