Would this trumpet be legal in DCI?

Cavies 2005 anyone?

I would seriously pay for you to change that disgusting avatar.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The horn in question is Bobby Shew's "Shew" horn. He puts a harmon mute in the bottom bell, and then plays "duets" with himself on solos. If you've never heard Bobby play live, you need to. He is one of the greatests jazz trumpet players on the planet. Even if you've never heard him live, you've heard him. Remember a couple of old TV cartoon show themes - The Jetsons and The Flitstones? Thats Bobby in his early 20's!

The DCI rules state bell-front, valved instruments, in any key. There is an specific exclusion of Sousaphones, and Tronbones. Concert "French" Horns would also be excluded as they are not bell-front. Eb Cornets, Trumpets in other keys than Bb, Picc. Trumpets, etc. would all be legal. According the rules as they were presented to the judging community at the time, valve trombones be 50/50, and would require a ruling for someone. Are they valved, or are they Trombones?

The Trombonium was a horrible idea that DEG had back in the late 70's. It combined the valve section of a baritone bugle with a trombone bell, and the worst characteristics of both. We had 4 in Guardsmen, used them for about a week, and then they never saw the light of day again. I believe that Madison tried them too. They would make nice table lamps.

The corps that tried to march Sousaphones for part of the year, Eklipse, was from Western Kentucky. A great idea in a what should have been a great location, all poorly exicuted with no business sense. Same general area, idea, and outcome as the Imperial Guard from Evansville IN. Drum corps can't be run as a hobby or for fun, it must be run as a business, by someone who knows how to run a business first, and a corps second.

Just because you don't agree with Hopkins doesn't mean you have to be rude.

I was referring to your old avatar with the kid eating cereal and spitting it all over and you know that. You changed your avatar immediately after I posted this. Thanks for changing it and "Thanks for playing". :smile:

Edited by SFZFAN

The horn in question is Bobby Shew's "Shew" horn. He puts a harmon mute in the bottom bell, and then plays "duets" with himself on solos. If you've never heard Bobby play live, you need to. He is one of the greatests jazz trumpet players on the planet. Even if you've never heard him live, you've heard him. Remember a couple of old TV cartoon show themes - The Jetsons and The Flitstones? Thats Bobby in his early 20's!

The DCI rules state bell-front, valved instruments, in any key. There is an specific exclusion of Sousaphones, and Tronbones. Concert "French" Horns would also be excluded as they are not bell-front. Eb Cornets, Trumpets in other keys than Bb, Picc. Trumpets, etc. would all be legal. According the rules as they were presented to the judging community at the time, valve trombones be 50/50, and would require a ruling for someone. Are they valved, or are they Trombones?

The Trombonium was a horrible idea that DEG had back in the late 70's. It combined the valve section of a baritone bugle with a trombone bell, and the worst characteristics of both. We had 4 in Guardsmen, used them for about a week, and then they never saw the light of day again. I believe that Madison tried them too. They would make nice table lamps.

The corps that tried to march Sousaphones for part of the year, Eklipse, was from Western Kentucky. A great idea in a what should have been a great location, all poorly exicuted with no business sense. Same general area, idea, and outcome as the Imperial Guard from Evansville IN. Drum corps can't be run as a hobby or for fun, it must be run as a business, by someone who knows how to run a business first, and a corps second.

Thanks for the clarification!

Just a joke my friend no need to get upset.

I took offense because George Hopkins ia a personal hero of mine. :smile:

It's all good.