Drum Corps in General

These are great stories....keep it up!

Yeah Jim I'm ready to get this show on the field...I've never been so pumped before!

Just remembered that every year the under 21 set got the "No BEER!" speech from that Larry Hershman guy. My fifth year in corps I turned 21 just before we went to New Orleans for AL Championships. At least five BoD or staff members started giving me Hades for drinking until I told I was finally 21. Favoite response was "#### you HAVE been a member for a while haven't you?"

Ah yeah, first parade this weekend and first concert of 2010 end of the month. I'm ready too Kris....

nobody ever told me no beer and i was a teen. i ain't saying how old........heh. different era i guess.

nobody ever told me no beer and i was a teen. i ain't saying how old........heh. different era i guess.

no, not entirely...i started in DCA in 2001 at the age of 14. my first "friday night before finals in the parking lot" rehearsal, someone went around and put a beer in front of all of the baritone players. all of the baritone players then drank their beer. i happened to play baritone. :tongue:

I joined the Skyliners at 13 years old, got my 5 year ring (tattooed on my right shoulder) at age 18. Now I am back in the civilian world and an official member of the Garbarina Mazarzakos American Legion Post 1523 in NYC. Once I get my life back on track and done with school and everything, I hope to return back to at least the Alumni Corps.

LOL, things did relax later when I came back. Corps BoD was just nervous about all the (new to DC) youngsters doing something stupid and getting the corps sued. Corps had a LOT of red ink in the re-start years and one BoD quote I overheard was: "If little Billy and Suzy get caught having sex while with us and we get sued... what the #### are we gonna pay with... here's two drums, a couple of horns and a broke flagpole?"

Just so dang many "kiddies", corps staff couldn't keep an eye on all of us....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I didn't join my first senior corps until I was 45! Still fun though!

I joined the Hurricanes in January 2004. I was 55. Always wondered who the oldest marching performer rookie was in DCA. I loved all 4 years with the Hurcs and have memories I'll never forget. Unfortunately my legs and back caught up to me.

I still walk proud and think thunder.

The Captain (rookie name)

mellophone '04-'07.