A Brainstorm Idea for DCA

It's funny how when the dust settles, the years that mean the most to you (to me, at least) are not the winning years; it is the years where a corps pulled off a miracle just to get on the field.

Not to derail the thread topic.... but 1982 Sunrisers.

Not quite a "miracle".... but our horn line struggled badly with numbers all during the offseason leading into the '82 summer (back then, our drum line never struggled.... or they certainly never sounded like they did!)... at one point, a few horn players from the soprano and mellophone lines volunteered to switch to baritone just to give us some more bodies there.

One rehearsal... outdoors, early spring I believe it was.... some of us literally apologized to a prospective new member...."please stick around... we're not usually this bad".....LOL. (That person did end up joining the corps.)

We busted our butts all summer.... and ended up winning the DCA title that year, after being thankful just for getting onto the field intact at the first show.

Fran

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I jumped in the snare line after not marching for 20 years not because I suddenly thought I could get chops after all that time off, but rather out of respect for the drummers who stuck it through some very difficult spring camps. I didn't play well at Finals and Prelims was in a hurricane

Oh I dunno...I certainly enjoyed sitting in front of you as you rammed in the lot show after finals!