First experiences with drill?

Wow, that's awful. The worst thing that ever happened to me was that I accidentally got in somebody's way and they shoved me to the side.

So yes, CrownLeadSop is correct - be careful!

Agreed....some fields on tour are NOT fun to be on.

Hustle yes, but don't put yourself at risk.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a girl blow a knee out at/after Semi's. We made finals that year.

There are a few things that one should take care of before and during learning drill.

1) Take care of yourself physically. You're not doing your corps any good if you're not there physically. I typically wear a hat (not much hair up there anymore, and the sun never cooperates. I typically wear long sleeve shirts and sweat pants. And I've been known to put a handkerchief under my hat to simulate long hair to protect my neck. And all that while rehearsing in July in Texas. It wasn't much different in Jr. Corps when I had hair, and lived in California. I hate the feel of being covered in oil more than being hot.

2) Take care of yourself mentally. You're not doing your corps any good if you're not there mentally. Granted that even if you can count the number of hours of sleep on one hand for the WEEK, you can still write the sets down and save some time later. But if you're always in that state, and not a productive member because of it. Something has to give.

3) Be efficient, but manage risk properly. If you feel the risk is too high, SAY SOMETHING. Recalling my Army days where RANGERS died from hypothermia in FLORIDA while training. (true story, unfortunately)

-----

As far as practice fields. The worst one was ALWAYS our 9 to 9 field. ALL fields were nice in comparison.