Marching at March Camp in March

Camp is done, and I could say it was well attended and everyone had fun and that the brass and percussion sound fabulous, but that would be nothing new so I won't bother. :blink: (BTW, it would all be true.)

The weather cooperated in Indianapolis on Saturday, so the corps was able to get outside and learn the opening sets for the drill... lots of motion, lots of speed, and the kids seemed to be keeping up with it pretty well. I was standing next to an old school VFW/AL marching band competitor (didn't know such a thing existed until he told me) and he summed up his reaction with two words that can't be repeated here without triggering some hash marks... but they signified personal amazement in a very concise fashion.

Looking out the kitchen window late Saturday morning revealed the corps doing what looked like basics block in the parking lot while playing parts of the show. They apparently were in the infield of the fairgrounds racing track earlier in the day and were kicked out for scaring the horses. :doh: (FWIW, I found those 16th note mello runs at 200 bpm a bit intimidating myself, so I can only imagine how the horses felt :doh:) The corps was able to get back to the infield in the afternoon (see previous paragraph) and were able to get the dotbooks out so all was not lost.

In a behind-the-scenes note, the corps has been growing over the past few years and has been bursting the seams of the equipment trailer, but some of the volunteers started tackling a reconfiguration job this weekend, and the space challenges look well on their way to being solved. The guys involved seemed to be happy to have an excuse to get out of the kitchen... it was a real "Tool Time" moment for them.

It's hard waiting for the summer to come and finally see this show complete and on the field. I'm personally looking forward to seeing the first official performance at the Grand Premier at the fairgrounds on Jun 11th... 74 more days, but who's counting? Summer hurry up!!!

Camp is done, and I could say it was well attended and everyone had fun and that the brass and percussion sound fabulous, but that would be nothing new so I won't bother. :blink: (BTW, it would all be true.)

The weather cooperated in Indianapolis on Saturday, so the corps was able to get outside and learn the opening sets for the drill... lots of motion, lots of speed, and the kids seemed to be keeping up with it pretty well. I was standing next to an old school VFW/AL marching band competitor (didn't know such a thing existed until he told me) and he summed up his reaction with two words that can't be repeated here without triggering some hash marks... but they signified personal amazement in a very concise fashion.

Looking out the kitchen window late Saturday morning revealed the corps doing what looked like basics block in the parking lot while playing parts of the show. They apparently were in the infield of the fairgrounds racing track earlier in the day and were kicked out for scaring the horses. :doh: (FWIW, I found those 16th note mello runs at 200 bpm a bit intimidating myself, so I can only imagine how the horses felt :doh:) The corps was able to get back to the infield in the afternoon (see previous paragraph) and were able to get the dotbooks out so all was not lost.

In a behind-the-scenes note, the corps has been growing over the past few years and has been bursting the seams of the equipment trailer, but some of the volunteers started tackling a reconfiguration job this weekend, and the space challenges look well on their way to being solved. The guys involved seemed to be happy to have an excuse to get out of the kitchen... it was a real "Tool Time" moment for them.

It's hard waiting for the summer to come and finally see this show complete and on the field. I'm personally looking forward to seeing the first official performance at the Grand Premier at the fairgrounds on Jun 11th... 74 more days, but who's counting? Summer hurry up!!!

Any chance they are going to release the actual music from their show before the season starts? Or is it all original music? Also, how are things going with Tom Aungst there doing percussion? Really looking forward to seeing what improvements he and Neil have made in the percussion department.