Guard BD 99 vs 2009

BD Best Guard  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which BDCG was Better??

I liked 99. 09 guard just didn't do much for me.

(Also can you please phrase it better because there have been better guards then those two and they weren't bd.)

Honestly, I barely watch the guard. I'm usually focused on the drumline and brass. When all the prancing started in the late 80's I lost interest in guard.

I'm not a guard person . . .at all. . .but this is describes my thoughts pretty well regarding these two shows, and in general in regards to guard work.

I don't really care too much about individual performers or the concept of equipment "pods", but, just like with brass and percussion, I have great respect for shows with tons of cleanly executed ensemble stuff.

That's typically what gets the "wows" in my case.

Just quoting because it's what I was going to say... but worded much better.

Are we talking color guards or dance troupes?

Colorguards? Anaheim Kingsmen

dance troupes? Riverdance....

Edited by GuyW

In terms of Blue Devils color guards, 1999 was spectacular in comparison to 2009... why they got a "perfect' score in 2009 is beyond me - you can clearly see drops and others "ticks" throughout the program. 1999 was MUCH better performed and was more entertaining, too.

I know a lot of BD people, and other folks that will tell you that 2001 was perhaps the best BD guard ever. 09 was a great group with a lot of talent, and 99 is one of my personal favorites, but not only did the 2001 guard win, and spin their ###es off, but if you watch closely, there are segments of drill that the hornline is doing that the guard also does, while spinning. The tank tread portion at the end of the third production comes to mind. Anyway, I would agree with all the other folks on here that there are other BD guards and other guards that top 99 and 09.

Don't take this the wrong way, but didn't BD win top guard every single one of those years? I believe that 91 Cadets guard didn't even make top 3 that year.

Cadets won color guard in 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996. They were second in color guard in 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, and 1999.