Off the Record - The Great Arrangers, Part 1

In our first issue of Off The Record for 2010, Frank explores some of the great brass arrangers of the activity, featuring the music of Jim Donnelly (St. Vincent's), Hy Dreitzer (Sky, Des Plaines), Joe Genero (Loretto, Hurcs), and Tru Crawford (Royal Airs, Yankee Rebels). This is a program that you're not going to want to miss.

OTR_150x90.jpg

click here

Enjoy!

Thanks FTD and John!! :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...
In our first issue of Off The Record for 2010, Frank explores some of the great brass arrangers of the activity, featuring the music of Jim Donnelly (St. Vincent's), Hy Dreitzer (Sky, Des Plaines), Joe Genero (Loretto, Hurcs), and Tru Crawford (Royal Airs, Yankee Rebels). This is a program that you're not going to want to miss.

OTR_150x90.jpg

click here

Enjoy!

Give a listen to St Vincents again 1959. Tell me you don't hear Tenor Bugles in there....

Showing my age.....

• 2 weeks later...
Yes! There are tenor bugles in there, absolutely!

Bring 'em back, I say.

I knew it! I have a picture of one somewhere, played it I did, circa 1960 ish.

I knew it! I have a picture of one somewhere, played it I did, circa 1960 ish.

Whoooaaaa.. I may have one of those in my parent's basement! Long story. My family cleaned out an old local fire company's drum and bugle corps equipment and I wasn't sure whet the heck the one horn was. Too small for a Bari, too big for a French Horn or the like. Definitely a G-D bugle, tho.

Will try and get a pic uploaded or something when I can get around to it..

Thanks for mentioning that- you may have answered my question as to what the heck we had there.

Whoooaaaa.. I may have one of those in my parent's basement! Long story. My family cleaned out an old local fire company's drum and bugle corps equipment and I wasn't sure whet the heck the one horn was. Too small for a Bari, too big for a French Horn or the like. Definitely a G-D bugle, tho.

Thanks for mentioning that- you may have answered my question as to what the heck we had there.

You might very well have a baritone. The tenor horns were a tad bigger than a soprano, especially in the bell.

The bugle voices I remember from BITD were soprano, tenor, baritone, french horn , bass baritone( which today we call a baritone) and contra bass, going from smallest to largest of the most used horns. There were also obligato or piccolo sopranos too, but were rarely seen / heard from most corps.

Ray

Does it have a mouthpiece? That's the key...

Does it have a mouthpiece? That's the key...

It sounds like what we called a baritone when what we now think of as baritones were called bass baritones.

it should play with a standard (small shank) baritone or trombone mouthpiece.

It sounds like what we called a baritone when what we now think of as baritones were called bass baritones.

it should play with a standard (small shank) baritone or trombone mouthpiece.

The Tenor Bugle used a soprano/trumpet mouthpiece