What and Why, 27th Lancers?

In 1985 I was a wide-eyed bando, freshly graduated from Carmel High School. Walking out ot the mailbox to get the newspaper that morning, i heard drums at the school. 27th happened to be staying at Carmel for a show that summer, so some I wandered up to watch them rehearse. During a break my friends disappeared, but I struck up a conversation with one of the members, and of course said how much I wanted to march drum corps. He told me they were still looking for a few horn players. The next thing I know, someone stuck a french horn in my hands and asks me if I know how to play a scale. So I played an F Major scale, and he says "you're in!"

A few moments later I was standing in the horn line warming up! I finished out the rehearsal, and they let me take the horn home, but I had to promise to meet them in Whitewater in two days. I went home, quit my job at Jim Dandy Family Restaurant, packed my bags and my parents drove me up to Whitewater. After the show I climbed aboard a bus for the long trek back to Revere.

From the first minute I was treated warmly and welcomed to the corps. I went from 0 to 27 in three days! Or, as Bill Solari was fond of saying, "Hey, ma, I'm going to get the paper - The Boston Globe!"

The essense of that corps was that George and Patsy loved kids, and the kids loved each other. They'd be as hard on each other as you can imagine, but there was a bond among those people that was like solid steel. I was privileged and honored to be brought into that. It's no secret that '85 and '86 were tough years for 27th, but I wouldn't trade a moment of those seasons for anything.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1985 I was a wide-eyed bando, freshly graduated from Carmel High School. Walking out ot the mailbox to get the newspaper that morning, i heard drums at the school. 27th happened to be staying at Carmel for a show that summer, so some I wandered up to watch them rehearse. During a break my friends disappeared, but I struck up a conversation with one of the members, and of course said how much I wanted to march drum corps. He told me they were still looking for a few horn players. The next thing I know, someone stuck a french horn in my hands and asks me if I know how to play a scale. So I played an F Major scale, and he says "you're in!"

A few moments later I was standing in the horn line warming up! I finished out the rehearsal, and they let me take the horn home, but I had to promise to meet them in Whitewater in two days. I went home, quit my job at Jim Dandy Family Restaurant, packed my bags and my parents drove me up to Whitewater. After the show I climbed aboard a bus for the long trek back to Revere.

From the first minute I was treated warmly and welcomed to the corps. I went from 0 to 27 in three days! Or, as Bill Solari was fond of saying, "Hey, ma, I'm going to get the paper - The Boston Globe!"

The essense of that corps was that George and Patsy loved kids, and the kids loved each other. They'd be as hard on each other as you can imagine, but there was a bond among those people that was like solid steel. I was privileged and honored to be brought into that. It's no secret that '85 and '86 were tough years for 27th, but I wouldn't trade a moment of those seasons for anything.

I miss this Corps and there style.

Not a picture but video will replace a thousand words.

You can watch the 1980 27th Lancers which was just a much better marched version of 1979 on youtube.

Also available that year is the Spirit and Bridgemen of 1980 and Bridgemen in 4 parts.

The Legacy Collection is available in some well stocked college music libraries.

Not a picture but video will replace a thousand words.

You can watch the 1980 27th Lancers which was just a much better marched version of 1979 on youtube.

Also available that year is the Spirit and Bridgemen of 1980 and Bridgemen in 4 parts.

The Legacy Collection is available in some well stocked college music libraries.

I miss it live.

many of our horns were very old or in poor condition. Some of us were still using valve-rotor horns in the 1986 season.

Thanks for writing back Rob.

After all this time, I still think there was a big difference between the sound of most eastern corps and those located in the mid-west or west coast. I always found the east coast sound a little more edge to it.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for writing back Rob.

After all this time, I still think there was a big difference between the sound of most eastern corps and those located in the mid-west or west coast. I always found the east coast sound a little more edge to it.

Jeff

So true.