Yamaha v. Bach

KSUDCI07

^ thats why I prefer Bach over Yamaha any day. Bach is just so much better sounding.

My girl is a Bach Strad, the Big Apple edition.

Shes the first Horn Ive ever played where its practically "think the notes and there they are" for lack of a better way to say it

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The horse is rotting it's been beaten so much.

Here's a new version. What trumpet do you like better? Cannonball Big Bell or B&S. Ready?......GO!!

I play on a Bach model 39. Nothing special. When i'm marching at drum corps rehearsal, i'm using a Yamaha Xeno. I LOVE the Yamaha, so much that I no longer like my Bach.

Excluding Bachs made like 30 years ago, which do you think is a better trumpet?

Everyone has their own preference and all you can do is get suggestions based on other peoples experience and performance venues. What you should buy and use is what works best for you in the venues you will perform in. There is no one outstanding all around horn. Each one will have trade offs, a great jazz horn will work ok for symphonic use, but then a great symphonic horn would work just fine for a jazz setting.

As an owner of an over 30 year old Bach 37, I will say that the current Bachs are not even close to the same quality and consistency they were in the past. You can take 3 horns form the same production month and have 3 completely different reacting insturments. Also, my 30 year old Bach currently collects dust in favor of it's replacement a 30+ year old Benge CG.

For pepband and outdoor gigs, my choice is the Kanstul Coliseum (COL103). Some people don't like this horn, but with it's .470 bore, you can't overblow it. It takes everything you can put through it and more. If you can find an earlier model with the heavyweight receiver, or special order it with one, do that. For jazz and orchestra work, I go to my CG. I have also played the "Wild Thing" and Callet "Jazz" horns. I know that one of these will be my next horn purchase for all around use.

If you are only considering the Bach or Yamaha, I would go with the Xeno. However, not knowing your price range or intended useage, other horns I would consider are:

Kanstul Coliseum

Kanstul 1070 (also .470 bore but upgraded valve block)

Kanstul 1537 (as close as you will get to a 30 year old Bach 37)

Schilke X3

Callet Jazz or Symphonic

Flip Oakes Wild Thing

Marcinkiewicz Four X RLP or Coppola

I don't know where you are from, but find a good reputable store with knowledgeable people. Try as many horns as you can. Don't just blow one scale and make a determination, unless it really doesn't feel right, really play it. Then you can make a better judgement. Don't buy a horn just based on what someone tells you is the best. I learned this lesson when I was young and everyone said to buy a Bach 37. I got it, and as I said, it now collects dust.

For opinions on a lot of horns, check out brassreview.com and trumpetmaster.com. You wil find many opinions there that can give you a great start in your search of the best horn for you.

Buy the one that's easiest to sell at costs. That way if you don't like it, not real loss. I had a bach 37, it took me nearly two years to off load it at a loss. Fortunately I bought it used, so not a drastic loss. And it was a pretty good horn (indoors / softer chamber stuff / lead or 2nd parts). The Kanstul 1537 was probably the better horn, but I didn't have the bach with me for a side by side at the time. And I don't normally play trumpet. Not really a fan of Yamaha, but they make some good stuff. I sold my Yamaha Trombone a couple months back (been in my hands 10+ years). I actually made a couple bucks on it, since I bought it used. But the guy who bought it was checking for corrosion since he'd heard stories of other Yamahas. I tried a Yamaha Euph in '07 and it was a nice horn. I didn't much care for the valves. It seemed like the valve springs were a bit on the weak side (for a euph). I know a guy who bought a Yamaha baritone and had valve troubles from day one. Not enough to render the horn useless, but enough to taint his new horn purchase decision.

Which is best depends on what you want to do with it. And how much use you want out of it.

The Bach strats are great, but you'll have to try a few to find one that plays well.

On the other hand, the Yamaha Xenos play pretty amazingly from what I've heard, and are extremely consistent.

Between a good Bach and a Xeno, it'd be up to whatever feels right for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I may be wrong....but doesnt yamaha own bach now? I thought they were bought out in the mid 90s.

Bach is part of Conn-Selmer, which is itself a division of Steinway after both C.G. Conn and Selmer were acquired by Steinway. Yamaha is unrelated.

The horse is rotting it's been beaten so much.

Here's a new version. What trumpet do you like better? Cannonball Big Bell or B&S. Ready?......GO!!

I tried a cannonball and really liked the response. It was easy to play in EVERY register...especially above high C. It was like a black dusky color horn.

A couple of Xenos I tried had problems slotting high F (above high C) for some reason...it just didnt quite center for me.

I've heard the newer Bach's are more consistent... I hope this is true.

A 180 37 Bell is around $2,500 online, in the past decade... You will more then likely get a clunker. A good one has a sweet sound and quick response. To get them to play great, you'll need to dump some money in them.

The best playing Bach I've ever played was a Yamaha New York Artist series. Everything a Bach should be but is in that $3,500 - $4,000 range. The Chicago Artist slots different then the New York, I play too much lead to make the horn work for me but it is a great trumpet.

A Xeno is around $2,200 and are very consistent. The sound is not as sweet as a "Good" Bach IMO but the play better then the majority of Bach trumpets made today. The custom LA model I've played was not that bad either and I thought the response was quicker, more preferred for me.

When it comes to C trumpets... The Yamaha Chicago C gets rave reviews.

Also what I'm about to say, I can't believe I'm going to say... Because these horns where crap not too long ago. The X0 Series Jupiters are the best bang for the buck. They are very much improved horns,. The 1602 is a VERY customizable horn, it comes with: Rounded and Elliptical Main Tuning Slides; Regular and Lightweight Valve Springs; Standard and Heavy Weight Bottom Valve Caps... For under $2,000

Donny, I heard the 1600I XO (Roger Ingram ) model is sick for lead playing.

As far as construction: I know a very respected repairmen that said they are fine.

Edited by CloudHype

glad to see your input Joe........I mostly play a Bach Strad, a very old Martin cornet, an old Conn 'C', a Kanstul and a Getzen 'Sevrinsen', but prefer a Xeno for consistent centers in my upper range......a trumpet, any trumpet is a personal choice whether within brand or brand to brand/type to type. The mouthpiece that marries with your embouchure and the horn is also a big factor in achieving a match......try as many as possible with as many combinations to get the response you want

I tried a cannonball and really liked the response. It was easy to play in EVERY register...especially above high C. It was like a black dusky color horn.

A couple of Xenos I tried had problems slotting high F (above high C) for some reason...it just didnt quite center for me.