Did Drum Corps ever do this for you?

Like many youngsters, I occaisionally struggled with self-esteem issues when I was a kid. When I joined drum corps, the acceptance level was great, and did wonders for helping me to grow up and deal with life's emotional issues.

I have come to believe that drum corps can help anyone who feels like a nobody to feel like somebody.

No need to share details, but just wondering if anyone else was as fortunate as I.

(Sincere thanks to ALL of my drum corps friends thru the years)

My adjustment to the military probably would not have been as quick or as easy had I not marched.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many youngsters, I occaisionally struggled with self-esteem issues when I was a kid. When I joined drum corps, the acceptance level was great, and did wonders for helping me to grow up and deal with life's emotional issues.

I have come to believe that drum corps can help anyone who feels like a nobody to feel like somebody.

No need to share details, but just wondering if anyone else was as fortunate as I.

(Sincere thanks to ALL of my drum corps friends thru the years)

Yeah, no doubt about it. To think I kept my thoughts to myself for so many years. :tongue:

Love my experience with corps, it has certainly changed me for the better.

The law of reflection:

If what goes up must come down, then what goes in must come out.

If I look in a mirror, I get back the image I give to the mirror. If I put money in a bank, I can take it out. I can't get anything unless I give first.

That goes for everything we do. If we procrastinate, we get the byproduct of what we put in (nothing). If we do work and give your absolute best, that's exactly what we will get.

<The law of reflection:

If what goes up must come down, then what goes in must come out.

If I look in a mirror, I get back the image I give to the mirror. If I put money in a bank, I can take it out. I can't get anything unless I give first.

That goes for everything we do. If we procrastinate, we get the byproduct of what we put in (nothing). If we do work and give your absolute best, that's exactly what we will get.>

This has the ring of a motivational talk given to you by the Cadets...I LOVE it - and am now going to copy and print it...so I can use it (with attribution to you...and/or Cadets, of course!)

My adjustment to the military probably would not have been as quick or as easy had I not marched.

Ditto. Kind of funny to hear the young guys in boot camp talk about how that was the hardest thing they ever did. While I'm thinking to myself, not me. I've done harder and didn't even get paid money to do it.

It did help me get over a not so pleasant childhood. Military parent meant moving. From a known normal life to some other location where you're an outcast. Drumcorps let me return to the known normal life if only one weekend a month.

Oddly my attempts at all-age drumcorps seems to favor the opposite trend. Not the corps itself, but the politics of trying to be a part of something greater.

I was never a Madison Scout, but when they use the term "My Brothers"....well....that pretty much speaks for itself.

It didn't help my rookie year. Some of the vets with egos think its cool to harass you all summer. I almost didn't march in 09.

After 1 year, they stop. LOL now it's like I'm one of them. It's wrong to be mean to rookies...they are your future!

My story is a little different. My first year, I entered as a nobody, and I feel like I left that year as a nobody also. I was scared of almost all of the veteran members that year, and I felt that they were established as part of the organization, whereas I wasn't. I didn't want to get in anybody's way, so I stayed out of most people's ways. I wasn't very comfortable with myself in a lot of ways, and therefore, I did not want to share many things with my corpsmates. I did make a few friends that year, but I truly came out of my shell the next year.

With a year of experience, trust in the organization and members, and rookies looking to people like me for guidance, I found myself in a powerful-feeling position. I could finally be myself! And so many of the people who I had marched with the year before instantly accepted me.

Drum corps first helped me find myself, and then it helped me help others do the same.

Heh. I've always been the quiet type. I got the shyest male award as a Freshman in band. Rookie year, I pretty much didn't say anything. The first camp of my 2nd year, I talked the entire 8 hour bus ride up to camp.

It didn't help my rookie year. Some of the vets with egos think its cool to harass you all summer. I almost didn't march in 09.

After 1 year, they stop. LOL now it's like I'm one of them. It's wrong to be mean to rookies...they are your future!

I agree wholeheartedly. You NEVER haze anyone who wears the same uniform that you do.