27th Lancers Reunion Corps

I think it would be bad for the activity. Every alumni corps is different, and many come from different generations, and it would be impossible to judge from other than an entertainment standpoint IMO. You can't judge a guard who does 60's and early 70's style work to another out there doing late 80's/mid 90's. You can compare it, you can state which you personally like better, but I don't think they can fairly be judged against each other.

Great points, Liz.

Also.... at least from the conversations I've had with folks I know in the alumni activity, and I know a few.....LOL..... they (or at least the vast majority of them) don't WANT to be judged, except by the fans and their applause.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting discussion.

I was lucky enough to see the Lancer Alumni and Madison Scout Project live. They were both unforgettable and magical. Perfect storms so to speak. It will be near impossible to live up to those performances. Input from those groups as well as others went into preparing the Star Alumni Corps for 2010'. Fitting when you consider our organizations history we have taken a different path so to speak. I am sure it will thrill some folks while others will be disappointed. It has been trying at times. We don't have the numbers to draw from with only 9 seasons as a drum corps, and our brief history is really difficult to live up to. It is like chasing a ghost. We fed a good deal of our members hunger to 'do it again' in 04' and had to convince them to come out for seconds. Our folks are in the prime child raising years, and many are teaching or involved in other corps. But in the end we have a product that we are proud of. I think most will enjoy it and I am sure you will walk away saying; "Well those guys can still play." I hope you all can come out and help us celebrate our short, but unique history.

In true Lancer fashion, no alumni corps will touch what we were able to do. We were the first corps invited by DCI - and we took 18 months to prepare for a 10 minute performance. As Drum Corps World reported "Blue Devils with the title, 27th wins the show." We were generously acknowledged by the audience. Since then, there has been a huge movement towards alumni corps starting up - and it was been great for the entire activity - bring long time friends back together.

All I can say is THANK YOU! :thumbup:

I cried all through Danny Boy that night and it so made the trip to Boston worthwhile (from CA at the time).

Thanks to all in this thread who posted the video as I really need to relive that performance tonight.

Werent Kilties the first alumni corps to perform at DCI?

Yes, 1992 Madison, I believe.

Someone outside the show gate asked me if I'd help them that night and participate in the show.

I actually gave it consideration as the first finals I had watched live were sadly their last 1977 and 1978.

Also always liked that Macleod of Lewis Tartan (that is yellow/black with red pinstripe plaid) uniform.

As I am sure has been the case in every Alumni project, there have been a lot of people putting in a lot of work and sacrificing a lot for our performance to become a reality in August.

I think I can speak on behalf of EVERYONE involved by saying that we are very excited to have the opportunity to perform one last time as the Star of Indiana. We hope everyone in attendance enjoys our performance as much as we will performing it for you.

See everyone in August!!

Just make sure you have practiced that "special" mello part. :thumbup:

You know, the one Fran and I were raving about.

Please tell me it is in the show... no wait don't I want to be surprised.