27th Lancers Reunion Corps

More than all this, I love the people. They are the best. Period.

What Kevin said.

More than the corps we have marched in, wished we had marched in, competed against, rooted for, etc., the activity's essence is its people.... the people we've met, the friends we have made, the friends we have lost through the years.

The various "reunion corps" assembled for one big performance.... 27th, Madison, Kingsmen, Cavies, and now Star..... just like the various "year-round" alumni corps such as Caballeros Alumni, Mighty St. Joe's, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Scout House, Yankee Rebels, Reilly Raiders and many others.....are a way for a whole bunch of old friends to get together and once again share their special bond. And to show everyone that the "old folks" can still get it done! :thumbup:

Edited by Fran Haring

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW short thread but filled with backbiting and snide comments. 27th was a standout performance and I'm putting money on Star being the same. Considering they were from two completely different eras, they won't be comparable. But I'm sure equally memorable for what they both brought to their performances when we look back on it 15 years later....

Where's the "like" button here ?? !! LOL

G

Have to agree with Liz. We love our activity & we all have our favorites but I think the chest thumping is a little much on this thread...anyway...

My favorite has to be "The Project". I was totally blown away & still put on the DVD for friends that have never seen it & they are all speechless that they pulled that off; esp when I play the terrific documentary that was filmed detailing how the corps came into being.

I marched 94 Crossmen. Being at Foxboro the night 27th came on was crazy. We were behind the stadium waiting to come in for retreat & all we could here was this wild applause that seemed to last forever. When I finally saw the video of the performance it was awesome. My sister marched Crossmen from 79-82 & I remember all of the terrific shows the Lancers had put on so to see the alumni corps do what they did was nothing short of wonderful.

In addition to have marched Crossmen, I have been in alumni corps since I began my career. My father was (always will be) an Archer-Epler Musketeer. He brought me out to every single rehearsal until I finally caved. I am a true drum corps child & everything good I have in my life has come from this activity. Archie will always be special & I don't think enough people know about their great history. Briefly (haha), they folded in 1967 & merged for a short time with the Reilly Raiders in 1968. Didn't work. Archie then decided to bring the corps back for the 1976 Bicentennial parade in Philly. Huge parade obviously. They got together a huge corps & marched in that parade during an awful storm. Typical since they had looked forward to that day! But, in 1978, the entire organization went to Roosevelt Stadium, the "Dream", & put on an exhibition as an alumni corps. What a performance. I have a cd of the show & would gladly send a couple out if anyone would desire a copy! They were awesome. I wasn't fortunate enough (too young) to have ever seen a show at Roosevelt Stadium, but ever since I was a kid all of my older drum corps buds swear it was the best of the best...

Marched Bridgemen Alumni for 3 seasons & getting the opportunity to march DCI East again was unreal. Marching up THAT hill in THAT stadium...forget about it.

Love Caballeros Alumni, love Sky, love Blessed Sacrament...I could go on & on. Looking forward to Star Alumni! I'm sure they'll leave me speechless!!!

Bravo !!! And I loved your show that year, and that night !

G

As I am sure has been the case in every Alumni project, there have been a lot of people putting in a lot of work and sacrificing a lot for our performance to become a reality in August.

I think I can speak on behalf of EVERYONE involved by saying that we are very excited to have the opportunity to perform one last time as the Star of Indiana. We hope everyone in attendance enjoys our performance as much as we will performing it for you.

See everyone in August!!

What Kevin said.

More than the corps we have marched in, wished we had marched in, competed against, rooted for, etc., the activity's essence is its people.... the people we've met, the friends we have made, the friends we have lost through the years.

The various "reunion corps" assembled for one big performance.... 27th, Madison, Kingsmen, Cavies, and now Star..... just like the various "year-round" alumni corps such as Caballeros Alumni, Mighty St. Joe's, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Scout House, Yankee Rebels, Reilly Raiders and many others.....are a way for a whole bunch of old friends to get together and once again share their special bond. And to show everyone that the "old folks" can still get it done! :worthy:

:blink:

Two :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Lancer legend........Are you stoned???. 240 true alumni. unmatched hornline (Im a horn player), smoking drumline, awesome guard. 11 days of practices. Ran like a machine!!!! of course had a little help and direction from Terry Keenen.

Original drum major from 1938. He was 42 when Lancers formed, if you want to compare corps histories. Over 750 years of marching exp.

I truely enjoyed the 27 show in Boston, Bridgemen in Allentown, Kilties in Madison, Cavies in Bloomington and the recordings of Kingsmen, SCV, and many others. I have also played with many hornlines, with some of drumcorps greatest soloist. All were wonderful. But to me, IMHO I believe the Project to be right up there.

I look forward to seeing Star. remember, at one time they were the new and inovative, now they are just old school like the rest of us.

Okay before this gets out of control I wanted to say a few things and hopefully help the cause.

First we drum corps people have and ALWAYS will be passionate for the corps we are with or marched with in the past.

All of these REUNION corps or Alumni corps(Bridgemen) who have come BACK FROM THE DEAD so to speak, HAVE BEEN GREAT!!!! They ALL have been different BUT ALL HAVE BEEN GREAT!!!!

You really can't or shouldn't compare. What we should be doing is "HOW GREAT IT Was TO SEE.......(fill in the corps again) and that they were what I remember them to be.

The BIGGEST winners here are those who get to relive their youth and perform again to screaming fans. Who are the BIGGEST winners because they get to see a corps from the past who made impression on this activity.

So before we get into a BIG DRUM CORPS FIGHT, can we just agree that all have been GREAT and it's GREAT to see those corps again and enjoy this GREAT activity we call DRUM CORPS!

Hype!

George

I have appreciated all of the alumni corps shows heretofore, and despite being a partisan (Kingsmen), prefer to just enjoy everyone's efforts.

....now, if someone were to propose a judged alumni corps contest, that would be a slightly different matter....I wonder - what size crowd it would attract??

Edited by GuyW

I have seen MANY Alumni and ALL have brough back great memories...I don't think anyone is Putting down another corps...BUT To see 27th out there with the LARGEST DRUM CORPS TO EVER PERFORM and when they played Danny Boy there wasn't a dry eye in the house .

Is it a regional thing MAYBE....but I saw Kilties and had goose bumps..Defenders same...Bridgemen HUGE.....BUT I never saw grown men cry like I did that night.....and was just a little more special..