Its all about the marketing....

I don't know if this should be here or in the G7 forum but, we talk about fees and audiences and bands but what it comes down to is marketing.

We talk about Marching Bands being interested in the top 12 corps only...well guess what..a VAST majority of band kids don't know anything about corps. Even though I'm a big fanof drum corps my kids who both marched in band couldn't tell a Blue Devil from a Colt. Most kids in thier band couldn't...alot of kids I talk to can't.

So when a show comes to an area why can't all the corps be marketed the same. Theres a bigger audience then HS kids who know. Theres families who are looking to do things together. Seniors with alot of discrenary (sic) income.

There are reasons people eat at McDonalds...and usually the last one is the taste of the food. Its because they make you think its the fastest, tastist most affordable food out there. But is it really.

I've seen the poster corps put out for thier shows...don't tell me anything...really. I live 30 minutes away from West Chester and have never seen an advertisment for the show...EVER.

And lastly...They have these big tractor trailers...why aren't they covered with advertising. If it was me I would have them looking like a Nascar car. These things are all over the country, being seen by thousands of people on the road. Thats a chance to make upwards of $100,000 a year. And anyone can do it. What would another 100k mean to the Spartans, Mandarins or other small corps. Their are agencies that specialize in arranging advertising for small ventures.

It all comes down to marketing...

I know exactly what you mean when high school kids don't know what drum corps is. Its rather depressing really. Even at my college only a handful of us actually know what a drum corps is. I try my best to promote it but sadly no one really cared to even try to watch shows online or even listen to it. I also find it sad that I know more about DCI than my director who actually marched in a corps. I think we as fans need to find a way to promote it as best as we can before something tries to...

Agreed, I live in Atlanta and NEVER see an ad for the big show unless I am looking at a corp site on the puter. Darn good point !!!!!

DCI should at least spend to have 3 billboards in each large show city. One month before the show. JMHO.

..a VAST majority of band kids don't know anything about corps. Even though I'm a big fanof drum corps my kids who both marched in band couldn't tell a Blue Devil from a Colt. Most kids in thier band couldn't...alot of kids I talk to can't.

No offense to anyone posing here, but two words come to my mind when band students do not know about DCI: Band Director. Over the years, as a private instructor, I have encountered many, not all, but a really high percentage of band students whose school director has refrained from introducing anything to the school band curriculum other than the marching or concert contest music which is placed on the music stands in the band room. I have asked my private students questions like, "Has your director told you about Wynton Marsalis coming to town?"; response, "No, who is he?". I have asked, "Has your director told you about the Blue Man group coming to town?"; response, "No, what is a Blue Man?". I have even asked, "Has your director told you about our wonderful Symphony Orchestra that is performing the music of Aaron Copland this weekend""; response, "Nope." (but I did have one humorous response from a private student that said, "I think that guy wrote our marching band show this year!"). Directors, for the most part, do not show DVDs, play CDs, or discuss anything in any way, shape or form, outside of what it will take for their band to place high at the next Marching contest or what will take get them a 1 rating at the next Concert contest. I have even been in a band room where the director placed photos of Ellington, Monk. Beethoven, Bach, Miles, Shelia E, Buddy Rich, all over the walls and the kids cannot name a single person in the photos! That, imho, is where the problem lies when band kids do not know abut DCI. And I "praise" any director who not only introduces their students to DCI, but also to all of the other great musicians and groups that make up the wonderful world of music; but sadly, it appears that those directors are the exception and not the norm.

Directors, for the most part, do not show DVDs, play CDs, or discuss anything in any way, shape or form, outside of what it will take for their band to place high at the next Marching contest or what will take get them a 1 rating at the next Concert contest.

***applause***

VERY well put.

I am infinitely more worried about this than drum corps marketing...and I love drum corps!

No offense to anyone posing here, but two words come to my mind when band students do not know about DCI: Band Director. Over the years, as a private instructor, I have encountered many, not all, but a really high percentage of band students whose school director has refrained from introducing anything to the school band curriculum other than the marching or concert contest music which is placed on the music stands in the band room. I have asked my private students questions like, "Has your director told you about Wynton Marsalis coming to town?"; response, "No, who is he?". I have asked, "Has your director told you about the Blue Man group coming to town?"; response, "No, what is a Blue Man?". I have even asked, "Has your director told you about our wonderful Symphony Orchestra that is performing the music of Aaron Copland this weekend""; response, "Nope." (but I did have one humorous response from a private student that said, "I think that guy wrote our marching band show this year!"). Directors, for the most part, do not show DVDs, play CDs, or discuss anything in any way, shape or form, outside of what it will take for their band to place high at the next Marching contest or what will take get them a 1 rating at the next Concert contest. I have even been in a band room where the director placed photos of Ellington, Monk. Beethoven, Bach, Miles, Shelia E, Buddy Rich, all over the walls and the kids cannot name a single person in the photos! That, imho, is where the problem lies when band kids do not know abut DCI. And I "praise" any director who not only introduces their students to DCI, but also to all of the other great musicians and groups that make up the wonderful world of music; but sadly, it appears that those directors are the exception and not the norm.

It goes far beyond the directors not telling students about DCI. Most directors I know purposely keep their students away from DCI for various reasons. Either because they know it will take away students from their band camps, or because they think DCI ruins musicians' techniques for life. I know the latter is completely untrue and totally ridiculous, but I have met countless individuals who were brought up thinking this way. How do we change this?

I actually know what you mean my director in high school would post stuff like he marched with The Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment but no one knew who the cavies or phantom was. So I decided to run for a spot in the band council and I got in. The job of the council really is meant for thinking up good activities for the band to do. So I decided to make up "DCI Night" I remember when I brought it up no one had any clue what DCI was so I had to present what it was in the next meeting. They of course really enjoyed it and my idea was born. I remember how much I promoted it. And the best part of it all is that it had a great turn out! more than half of the band showed up, and I come from a 5A school so I was pleased. But more or less I think directors should let kids know what DCI is... but I had to figure it out on my own...

It goes far beyond the directors not telling students about DCI. Most directors I know purposely keep their students away from DCI for various reasons. Either because they know it will take away students from their band camps, or because they think DCI ruins musicians' techniques for life. I know the latter is completely untrue and totally ridiculous, but I have met countless individuals who were brought up thinking this way. How do we change this?

Not trying to defend the directors here who keep their students in the dark, but unfortunately there are a few kids who return to their band programs after a season with a corps with huge egos; and they become condescending toward their respective band programs. They are few in respect to the number of performers in the activity of DCI, but enough to cause many directors to project this attitude onto all of DCI. This also gives fodder to the Band Director, whose own ego tends to keep kids from being exposed to not only DCI, but other great musicians and groups out in the world that could "take away" some of the prestige the director wants to promote within his/her own band program.

Change the egos in humans, and you will fix the problem.

DCI should at least spend to have 3 billboards in each large show city. One month before the show. JMHO.

When the Bluecoats had think it was the first innovations in brass in 76 they put up a bunch of billboards on the interstates that said "Welcome To Bluecoats Country" with a photo of a person in uniform and show date, time and location (Fawcett Stadium) must of worked had 10,000 plus at the show