Corps Names

The Pacific Crest Drum and Bugle Corps was named in 1993 for the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail (a hiking/biking/horseback riding trail from Baja California to British Columbia). After 55 years the trail was finally completed in 1993, passing through the mountains above Diamond Bar, California.

The name also ties the Corps to the Pacific Ocean and carries the connotation of being the highest and best, like the crest of a wave. I seem to recall that the name was chosen by vote of the 13 members of the inaugural corps (who began to regret it after being continually introduced as "Pacific Coast"), but I don't know of any alternative names.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Devils

Blue - V.F.W. Color

Devils - Named after Concord's local landmark, Mt. Diablo (Diablo is Spanish for Devil)

You beat me to it! I didn't know about the colour blue though.

Surprised none of the 27th Lancer folks haven't responded, that's a fun one. :thumbup:

Charge of the Light Brigade.

Thanks, and for the old timers...... pick out the corps name (other than Vanguard) in the above. :thumbup:

Avant Guard (sp?)

Charge of the Light Brigade. Avant Guard (sp?)

Ding.. Ding... Ding... winners... Winners both....

Question Regarding the Red Crossmen Symbol. I stayed in Newark NJ a few years back and on many of the towns street signs my wife and I saw the Red Crossmen symbol? Is this just a coincidence, or is there some special meaning about it to both Newark and or the Crossmen? Just curious if you or any Crossmen folk might know the answer to this....

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Crossmen symbol came from the a VFW card found in someone's pocket in 1974:

vfw.gif

This information was supplied to CAA by a member of the American Legion Post 507.

The 1975 guard flag was created from this symbol.

4773208174_0c8a378cce.jpg

Since then the Cross has taken on many shapes.

Edited by xbones7480

Since no one give the origins of the Crossmen name I'll tell ya,

While sitting at the VFW watching the newly merged corps practice Robbie Robinson was still trying to come up with a name. It had been bothering him for some time. The janitor came up to him and said "why you look so Cross Man" ..... the rest was history.... :smile: