Southern Showdown

did they not have the dca 4 man panel sheets?

but as always, NEVER compare scores from show to show, sheets to sheets, panels to panels.... for the uninformed... while systems are designed to be consistent - that is "consistent" within an acceptable range. The actual scores that evening are critical to the first score given that night and can vary considerably based on that first score given...

Good question, Tom. I got the sheet info second hand so maybe they had the 4 panel sheets.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont believe DCI ever has a 9 man panel now that percussion judge #2 is gone...i think last year the score was just doubled from the field score

Doesn't DCI wait until July to add the perc judge on the field? Thought they made that change a year or two ago...

Last night DCI was using a 5 man panel so one of the judges was a no-show. In their 5 man set up there are NO field judges.

So, did anyone go to the show that is not affiliated with one of the competing groups? I am interested in a review. The caption scores seemed interesting and I am assuming that the scores may have been kind of funny, due to judges judging multiple captions at one time and not being as familiar with DCA.

So, did anyone go to the show that is not affiliated with one of the competing groups? I am interested in a review. The caption scores seemed interesting and I am assuming that the scores may have been kind of funny, due to judges judging multiple captions at one time and not being as familiar with DCA.

Hey Bos,

No one was judging out of caption, they simply didn't judge all captions and changed the weighting on the captions that do exist.

Last night, DCA corps were judged on Visual Ensemble, Music Effect, Music Ensemble and Percussion Perfomance. They would have had a Visual Effect number but due to a DCI judge who was sick, they simply averaged all the other caption scores and then gave each corps the average of their other scores in that Effect caption, which is probably the most fair way to evaluate the corps in the absence of one judge. It doesn't allow the "missing caption" to unduly influence the score because some other score that may have been stronger or weaker than the missing panel members caption would have been simply doubled in the past.

Don't have a recap in front of me, but Alliance won the Music Effect and Music Ensemble Captions, CorpsVets won the Ensemble Visual and Percussion Performance Captions. They tied them in the Visual Effect caption with a 13.0 so neither corps got a bump or drop from that score.

Both Atlanta DCA corps are off to a good start. Going to be a fun summer.

Just saw the recap posted on DCI.org. Congrats to new CV Percussion Caption Head Eric Miller, his amazing staff, and the 2010 CV Percussion Section for winning the percussion caption last night and knocking off one of last year's best lines.

Keep an eye on CV this year. There are good things coming.

FirstBEAT Recap

BTW we are looking to add a couple of tenors and a few pit peoole to our drumline. Next rehearsal is July 2, 3, & 4.

Regardless of the scores.... both corps need to get back to rehersal and these shows need to be 100% come September. Its time southern potential and expectations met accountability. I know both corps can do it!

Just saw the recap posted on DCI.org. Congrats to new CV Percussion Caption Head Eric Miller, his amazing staff, and the 2010 CV Percussion Section for winning the percussion caption last night and knocking off one of last year's best lines.

The recaps don't lie. I am sure BOSMARCHER or someone using multiple screen names at Alliance will have something to whine about on that.