Bill Cook in new book

Bird went to Indiana State not IU.

.... and of course, that's what I said above. ( you misread it )

what has he done?

He used to take his team to watch Star rehearse every year. He also made a video clip for DCI explaining the virtues of Drum Corps. Really, he's been a big supporter, because he likes hard work. I heard him speak a few years ago, and he mentioned Drum Corps as a great activity full of virtues.

Brasso, you speak of him here in the past tense. Did I miss that he died? Or were you speaking specifically about his time with Star, which certainly would be past tense.

Larry Bird is very much alive. I was referring in the past tense to his time at IU and then Indiana State.

Larry Bird is very much alive. I was referring in the past tense to his time at IU and then Indiana State.
about Bill Cook, the former Director of the Star of Indiana, who was quite a man.

No...that's not my question.

Jeesh. LOL! You said Bill Cook "WAS" quite a man. He's either dead or he's no longer quite a man. Or you were speaking of his history "back then" with Star.

Which is it?

Edited by garfield

Bird was recruited by Bobby Knight, was signed with IU and started there. He left after a short period and went to State.

This is an appropriate thread to mention Bobby Knights quote about drumcorps when he saw Star practicing on campus. Very positive about the work ethic he saw in the corps...anyone have the actual quote?

I found a book, "The Bill Cook Story: read, fire, aim!". Apparently there is a section about when Knight brought his team out to watch practice?

Did Knight ever meet Cook?

Btw: Bobby Knight isn't a bad guy when it comes to donations, he spoke at my Univeristy and donated his $5k honorarium to the school's library, apparently he does/did that type of thing a lot.

No...that's not my question.

Jeesh. LOL! You said Bill Cook "WAS" quite a man. He's either dead or he's no longer quite a man. Or you were speaking of his history "back then" with Star.

Which is it?

The latter.

Bird was recruited by Bobby Knight, was signed with IU and started there. He left after a short period and went to State.

This is an appropriate thread to mention Bobby Knights quote about drumcorps when he saw Star practicing on campus. Very positive about the work ethic he saw in the corps...anyone have the actual quote?

I found a book, "The Bill Cook Story: read, fire, aim!". Apparently there is a section about when Knight brought his team out to watch practice?

Did Knight ever meet Cook?

Btw: Bobby Knight isn't a bad guy when it comes to donations, he spoke at my Univeristy and donated his $5k honorarium to the school's library, apparently he does/did that type of thing a lot.

Where's Mike Boo when we need him?

I always understood the story as Cook and Knight were (are) very good friends and, after Cook described DC, Knight had his team watch Star's practice and run through. I've also heard that Cook just showed Knight some videos of shows and that, plus Knight's friendship to Cook, prompted him to agree to do the interviews for DCI.

Where's Mike Boo when we need him?

I always understood the story as Cook and Knight were (are) very good friends and, after Cook described DC, Knight had his team watch Star's practice and run through. I've also heard that Cook just showed Knight some videos of shows and that, plus Knight's friendship to Cook, prompted him to agree to do the interviews for DCI.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Tom, .... do you want to guess what famous celebrity came from the small town of French Lick, Indiana ?

Yeah, I was in French Lick in the 1990s before renovation on these two hotels began. Larry Bird is an easy answer.

Also, as a side note, the movie theaters all close on Friday nights in winter as the HS basketball crowds swarm the gymnasiums.