Spirit in Wilmington, NC

Spirit was staying fairly close by so I went to check out rehearsal last night. They did a couple hours of ensemble then some more visual. There were a few other onlookers including Steve Rondinaro of DCI broadcast fame. I am not sure the connection, but it was very cool to see him none the less. He talked to the corps at one point. They seemed super receptive and open. I tried to move close enough to hear without invading their space. Heard a few words and a few positive responses from the members.

I must say this corps rehearses well. Though biased that Cadets hold the trophy for working their ##### off in rehearsals, this was pretty #### impressive. They ran to spots, encouraged each other, and seemed to respond quickly and positively to input. The staff was very clear and direct. They seemed uber organized and confident with what they wanted from the group. I have many friends that marched Madison under this brass staff. They know their craft. Comments were right on and the horn line responded well, improving before my ears with each rep.

I really like this show. Really, really like this show. It is very new for them yet somehow oddly seems to fit their past, carrying some sort of distant Spirit spunky-ness (sorry, it is the best word I can think of here). The show theme is clear and there are lots of sound effects worked well into the fabric of the music. Lots of metal hammering and different metal sounds including harmon mutes for the trumpets. The arrangements are great and there is variety but also a kind of seemless-ness to the book. The brass book is definitely at top 8 book and it sounds like they will be able to pull it off well. The visual responds to the music for the most part. There are some great moves and some very cool visual surprises. There are a few moments that I am sure are awaiting time for visual development. All captions seem strong. The drum line is great and very entertaining. The horn line is the best they have had in years. Their color guard looked full and they were doing work through the entire show. There are some very cool moments with rifles and hammers. The drill is challenging but eventually doable. The opening segment is well coordinated and already displays some solid leg technique (straight leg-ish, SCV like). There are some great loud moments and the staging of features and solos seems pretty flawless. They have flats they push around. I was impressed with how well they moved and how integral they were to the music and staging variations. I am not big into props, but like them most when used the way Spirit is using them. Curious to see what all goes on them.

I kept reminding myself I was watching Spirit. No offense to them, but having seen them rehearse in 2008, I guess I was expecting that. The corps definitely seems renewed and rejuvenated, organized and serious in the best of ways. They have a ways to go, but are certainly offering a show I am already excited to see again, a show I can completely see being in finals. I like what I have seen of the uniform on line and now that I have seen the show, it seems like a perfect look for what the corps is doing now. Members kept going in and out of drill. It looked like they were getting kids into spots. When everyone was in I counted 4 or so brass holes. I heard they had holes but it looks like they are close to getting all filled and into the show. I was impressed with the drum majors and their seriousness. By the way they carried themselves, most members seemed aware that they have something special going on. I hope they are patient and really work past all the early and mid season judging craziness. This corps has TONS of potential.

All in all I must say I was pleasantly surprised and excited by what I saw of Spirit. Especially considering that they had been rehearsing all day in freakin 100 degree humid grossness. I look forward to seeing them in full uniform this weekend.

Thanks for a fun evening Spirit 2010, and best of luck to your deserving corps.

Heard a lot of talk about "recapturing their past" etc... with the move back to Atlanta. With the show I watched on fan network doesn't seem there is much effort to do that. For all the talk about the past, it is a very "trendy" "modern" show and new uniform.

Now that said, I would agree, it's the best we've seen from the corps in several years and I wish them the best. Would be nice to hear "Presenting their 2010 program, "Forging an Icon.... Spirit of Atlanta" on Saturday night in August.

Heard a lot of talk about "recapturing their past" etc... with the move back to Atlanta. With the show I watched on fan network doesn't seem there is much effort to do that. For all the talk about the past, it is a very "trendy" "modern" show and new uniform.

Now that said, I would agree, it's the best we've seen from the corps in several years and I wish them the best. Would be nice to hear "Presenting their 2010 program, "Forging an Icon.... Spirit of Atlanta" on Saturday night in August.

Did you see the three deltas in the drill? Did you hear the opening "Georgia" quote played by the hornline backfield when they first come in?

I agree that it is a very modern, up to date show, though I think it an audience and judge pleaser. I have not heard a lot of talk about them recapturing their past necessarily, but that could be the circles I run in. The show does seem to honor their symbol, the delta, a metal one at that. I find it pretty clever to do a show about something so nostalgic for them yet in a way that allows for lots of effect and a modern look and sound. I guess for me it is a current-day, competitive take on something very important to the corps and their past, but in a smart way that says they are here to be taken seriously as a competitor. I will be curious to see how Crossmen are doing past music. Madison is of course doing the retro thing, but they seem to be given more slack than a lot of corps, including Spirit. Not sure Madison's show will carry them very far competitively, unless the judging system does a 180 or makes calculated exceptions, which would not surprise me considering the unstable nature of DCI judging and the considerable lack of credentials of too many judges. A lot of corps past music selections can easily be updated or twisted for modern day shows. I don't think Spirit's past music is the case. I do not want to hear those old tunes done (early and mid 1980s) in a modern, hacked way. Unlike Madison and Crossmen, Spirit has been out of finals much more than in, since 1990. For them to be retro, it would have to be really retro. Glad they are "forging" forward instead, but in a cool way that connects to something important to them and their heritage. I agree, would love to hear, "Presenting their 2010 program, "Forging an Icon.... Spirit of Atlanta" on Saturday night in August.

PS, I saw many more than three deltas in their show and the "Georgia" quote at the beginning is super clever.

Edited by cadetzoid

There were a few other onlookers including Steve Rondinaro of DCI broadcast fame. I am not sure the connection, but it was very cool to see him none the less. He talked to the corps at one point.

Steve is an news anchor in Wilmington. Thanks to his location he has been the voice of NightBeat for years.

Thanks for the update!! One of my good friends is on their brass staff and he shares some of the same opinions as you do about the dedication of this year's members. While they are quite young and many of them first year members, he says that the overall attitude as strides above the past couple years. They are having a great time and love their show!

I am excited to see the show tonight. Gonna see some corps I saw in Louisville again and ready to check out the groups I haven't seen. The new corps I'm raring to see is Spirit.

Like what I see on fan network and wanna see it live. Some great brass sounds and good GE. Have some Spirit alumni friends from 08 that will be there with me who say they are jealous that the corps is getting its act together and rehearsing well. Said some of the staff didn't push them hardly and there were lots of vet tude. Wonder what has made the change happen. Best of luck to everybody. Gonna be fun. I love drum corps.

Thanks for the review.....I'm a huge Spirit fan and it's good to see someone with a non-biased eye (and ear) see the same things that I see.....

GO SPIRIT !!!

I agree totally! I'm a Spirit '05 Alum and it's always great to read post like this from someone else's point of view. Thank you for a great post cadetzoid!

Let's Go Baby Blue!

It makes me glad to hear posts like this from outsiders. More valid I think than those of us looking at the corps through babyblue-tinted glasses. :-D

I want a new birth certificate. I want just one more year and I'll take this one, please? Ok, scratch that. Back won't make it a whole season. Just give me the last 3 weeks, please. :-D

I know they've/we've been in an awkward place the last few years and it seems they have the vehicle to get them up and going again. I am thrilled for where they could go!

KSA, Spirit!