Mouthpieces?

Basically what i'm asking is, will a corps let you supply your own mpc if you truely sound better on it, and perform better? I've heard of corps making trumpet sections march soley Bach 3's and 1.5's. So I was wondering if I could supply my own mpc with say a different rim and what not. I'm just curious, because whenever I tryout in the next few years I suppose this is a good thing to know right?

They want you to audition on the equipment you sound best. I'm pretty sure that's a universal approach! From there, they'll tell you what they want from you to get the best tone out of EVERYONE in the hornline to get a homogenous sound! And that typically could be putting you on a 3C or keeping you on your piece and adding a weight possibly. Different corps have different approaches...so it depends on who you're auditioning for!

If you have any questions I'd gladly answer them!

Haha, my options are well open. I have no problem in the world goin for these guys (in no particular order of course): Crown, HNC, Coats, Cavies, Madison, or Stars. I'm in no particular hurry to pick, in that this coming summer (2011) is when I'll make enough money to pick whichever I want to go for, and I'll have enough to not worry about travel fees for those guys. But yeah, like I said my options are wide open for those guys, and I play on a LOUD 1.5C, which is supposed to have a Cup equal to that of a Mt. Vernon Bach 1 1/2. but with a much softer rim, #27 hole, and a #10 Backbore. I sound the best on it, and my range is relatively good on it (Eb ish-a G above High C on a given day) But my problem is that the measurements on the Mt. Vernon's cup is smaller than today's 1 1/2 cup on a Bach, Plus Bach has been SUPER inconsistant on stamping out perfectly measured mpcs. I guess you can see my concern there?

Edited by 76strad

I really want to audition for the 2012 season, so my freshman year of college is out of the way (2011-2012), and I can only march one year at most (as of what I can tell now)(It may change later on down the road)

When I marched at Glassmen like stated above the 2nds and 3rds play 3c's but now they play Signature Brass mouthpieces by Dynasty (I think) they are huge and heavy but i hear they are good. I played lead and we basically got to play what we wanted within reason. The mouthpiece you play on should work pretty much anywhere except i know Bluecoats plays on Hammond design but you can get one to match pretty close to what you play now. I also believe HNC plays the standard mpc that comes with xenos. As far as everyone else you should be able to use what you are playing on.

Edited by GlassSoprano

When I marched at Glassmen like stated above the 2nds and 3rds play 3c's but now they play Signature Brass mouthpieces by Dynasty (I think) they are huge and heavy but i hear they are good. I played lead and we basically got to play what we wanted within reason. The mouthpiece you play on should work pretty much anywhere except i know Bluecoats plays on Hammond design but you can get one to match pretty close to what you play now. I also believe HNC plays the standard mpc that comes with xenos. As far as everyone else you should be able to use what you are playing on.

OT

I liked there 08 show. hornline sounded sweet.