Sun Devils Baltimore Travel Thread

I was keeping track by geography – we had Florida, Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina, PA and NJ corps representing DCA. ooops - did I miss Shenandoah Sound? If so, we had 7 corps or more.

We were there. We carpooled for Sunday's parades and so several of us had an adventure with parking before the Bel Air parade. I made it back to the Shop-Rite in time to hear the massive drum corps circle. I would have loved to have been part of that..maybe that's something we can do at a DCA South show. :tongue:

I got to hear Sun Devils, Fusion, Alliance, and Bucs to various warm-ups over the two days of parades and all four corps sounded great. It was a good time. DCA and the alumni corps community get great representation for these Maryland parades.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good times indeed. The lodging at the Armory wasn't as bad as I thought it would be with five corps staying over. It all worked out fine. The multi corps breakfast was also great. Thanks to all who participated and to Reading for coordinating.

John Hoekstra, your amazing. You worked that grill all morning after getting pretty much no sleep since THURSDAY!!! Thanks a bunch!!

My favorite part definately was the parking lot in Bel-Aire. I totally plan on trying to get some common warm up or piece of music to play. I'd LOVE to get the Cannon warm up that Alliance was playing to be played by all of us.

Those are the moments that stay with you forever!!!!

Our airconditioning went on the bus so we had an impromptu water balloon assault on our member at the suggestion of one of our members who happened to bring a whole cooler of them with her!!! It was so funny watching the shock on everyone's face when they didnt' realize what was happening!!!!!!!! :tongue:

I hope you all got home ok!!!

See you on the field :)!!!

Edited by hardcoremello

That's what DCA is all about!!!

All loaded up, fed and back on the road to sunny Florida!

Today prior to the Bel Air parade several of the corps played their shows for each other, followed by several of the corps ( Bucs, Alliance, Gold, and MCL, as well as Sun Devils) forming a circle and playing show segments and warmups for each other. It was one of the most positive, friendly experiences I've ever had as a corps member or instructor.

I have to make a special mention of the Buccaneers as they fed all the corps staying at the armory breakfast this morning and made a point to socialize with our members. Behind the championships and the incredible performances is a truly class organization.

Same bus driver as last year? We had your driver from last year on a trip to WV.

Guess what? The bus is broken on the side of the road somewhere outside of Raliegh. We have been on the side of the road for about an hour. At least the driver is running the AC. We were just told that it could be an a couple of hours before someone can get here. Updates to follow...

Alan:

Be safe the remainder of the trip! Sorry to hear you had a delay.

Thanks so much for the hat!! I owe you one at finals.

Great spending the weekend with all of you.

YOU GUYS ROCK! SD

Dave Faust

The Bucs

Dave!

It was great meeting you, and you're more than welcome for the hat! As one of the people who sat around a table and helped sketch out the Sun Devils logo on a restaurant napkin, it still gives me a thrill to see people outside our corps sporting it.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments and well wishes! We look forward to seeing everyone again as the season progresses!

PS. I just walked in the door. The main contingent of Sun Devils should be pulling into North Port in another couple hours. 82 hours of traveling, marching and making new friends. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Edited by idontwan2know

Man hope you guys make it back in good shape. Just wanted to say that another Lancer Bari and I were talking to the cymbal line before the parade yesterday. We were watching the horn line but then had to leave as our corps was getting ready. Had a great talk and learned some things about the corps. If you noticed two guys in white shirts, black shorts and black ballcaps that was us.

BTW - What type and key of horns do you play? The Baris looked like our G Kanstuls.

PS - Great sound outta that horn line. :tongue:

I do remember seeing you guys!

The horns are all Dynasty Bb marching brass.

HOME!

The remainder of the corps should be home in about an hour. The parking lot in Bel Air was something that I will never forget. It was a treat because when will there be a time where we can ALL listen to each other's shows? 7 corps were in the parking lot. I did give a listen to SS before we stepped off. Keep up the good work!

I cannot wait to see everyone on the field. It is shaping up to be quite a season.

All the best from The Sun Devils Bugle Corps!

Thanks for posting the travelogue, SD! Glad you got home safely.

I wasn't with the corps this weekend, but was really glad to read about the camaraderie and fun that all of the units had together. Thanks for the kind words, Alan. Much appreciated.

To everyone - continued fair winds and smooth sailing from port to port...see you on the field!

MMX

Good times indeed. The lodging at the Armory wasn't as bad as I thought it would be with five corps staying over. It all worked out fine. The multi corps breakfast was also great. Thanks to all who participated and to Reading for coordinating.

John Hoekstra, your amazing. You worked that grill all morning after getting pretty much no sleep since THURSDAY!!! Thanks a bunch!!

My favorite part definately was the parking lot in Bel-Aire. I totally plan on trying to get some common warm up or piece of music to play. I'd LOVE to get the Cannon warm up that Alliance was playing to be played by all of us.

Those are the moments that stay with you forever!!!!

Our airconditioning went on the bus so we had an impromptu water balloon assault on our member at the suggestion of one of our members who happened to bring a whole cooler of them with her!!! It was so funny watching the shock on everyone's face when they didnt' realize what was happening!!!!!!!! :tongue:

I hope you all got home ok!!!

See you on the field :)!!!

Holly, it's always a pleasure talking with you! You have a great group there.

Thanks to the directors of all the corps for understanding and supporting the TRUE essence of drum corps.....FRIENDSHIP!!!

As the newest kids on the block, the Sun Devils were treated with respect by every one of the corps there, as if we have been around for decades. I can't tell you how it warms my heart to hear our kids talk all the way home about what a great time they had hanging with the other corps!

To the Buccaneers...from the administration through to the newest retired band director, you were a class act!

Seeing the 2 corps intermingle after the circle of sound was what it's all about.Next year we all need to play a tune together!

I can't say enough about this past weekend! Hail to the QUEEN, Lois, and her crew, for getting everything we needed to feed 300 people.

Jerry Ware....I owe ya buddy. Thanks for coordinating this.

Warm fuzzy's all around!

John Hoekstra

Executive Director

Florida Sun Devils

Thank you to

I hope the DCA brass is reading this thread. I think it is time for DCA to commission a chart (warmup and tune) that can be shared with all corps. I know this was tried in the past and some induhviduals went off on it making the thing a travesty. Maybe times have changed and corps management will make it a mission to play the tune the way it should be played.

There is NO DOWN SIDE to this "massed horns and drums" idea. Even if it only stays in the lot. Corps get to bond over a common tune and if the fanS get wind of it....