Michigan City Review

Here is a review of Michigan City....I watched the show on the fan network, and wasn't there live..........

my thoughts......(I only reviewed the world class corps)

general....good crowd and stadium.....much better video quality than Normal, Ill.

Teal Sound......more secure performance now that they have been in a few shows......guard execution will have to

be better to improve visual scores.....good first year WC product....I don't know where they will end up, and don't think

they have enough for semifinals, but they won't be near last, either................

Colts.........the product to get into finals is there.......good musical book and effect.....good overall package....right now,

execution is holding them back. If they nail their show by August, they can get the 12th spot.....if they don't, they won't.

Glassmen......for me, the most overscored corps in the country. Their scores would indicate that they are better than Madison, and

in the game with Blue Stars and Boston......no way. Brass intonation, quality of sound, blend, and arrangement problems are significant,

yet not reflected in the scores this year except for a few judges. I really feel that they are barely a 14 in ensemble for those reasons at this

point, and should be in the 13's in musical effect, so those numbers seem very inflated. They do have a satisfactory visual package and a respectable guard and percussion section, which may be holding their head above the water at the moment, but for how long? However, where the brass/ensemble and music effect scores are coming from are beyond me. Show does not engage the majority of the audience. I don't see this package in finals when the musical product is properly evaluated, and even multiple non-finalists may have better brass books/programs.

Madison......guard had a rough night, and they are going to have to start executing there to push and sell the visual package and numbers. However, I felt the musicians marched fairly well, and I believe the visual package has more substance then they are being credited for. I need more impact out of the silks. Musically, the arrangements are fine, musical, and work well. They have a fine quality of brass sound which is vastly superior to Glassmen, and the arrangements are far more effective. Yes, percussion has some dirt which needs to be addressed. However, the book is fine, and I still think this product is already beyond Glassmen, and will leave them long in the dust once the guard and percussion is cleaned.

Cavaliers.......unusual corps this year.....drill is first rate......however, with so much rifle, they are really going to have to clean, and I feel is quite dirty for score given. Musically, they have more demand, and a greater dynamic range in the past. That said, I really haven't heard much improvement in quality of sound. Also, the arrangements and the full program really lacks continuity. Not that it's without moments....the wailing section with the screaming sopranos is probably the highlight of the show....but the end is an afterthought effect-wise in comparison. Percussion pit is strong, but battery is behind other players at this point. If they get this show razor clean, they may save some face. However, they are being scored on reputation right now, and not what's out there.....they could be as low as 8th if they can't clean this up.

Cadets...........since the start of the season, the most improved corps in the country. this show has it all....solid arrangements with continuity and impact, plenty of demand, a deadly drumline, and no real weakness. They are also really starting to sell this product. The improvement in the last week was significant, and the score was totally earned. If they keep up this intensity, they may be the corps to beat, and may not drop another show this year..........

GB

Thanks for the review! I've only seen Cadets via online, but I'd have to agree with you that they have a very entertaining and potentially championship show!

And it sounds like The Cavaliers are doing about as well back East as Santa Clara Vanguard is doing out West. That would be a shame if these two corps ended up in 7th and 8th place. :-( Here's hoping they can clean it up twice as fast as everybody else, otherwise they won't gain any ground on anyone.