Gratitude and a long-overdue apology

When I marched a different corps in '92, we saw Star off and on during the season. And we made a point of being pretty dismissive towards them during the season, motivated at least in part by class envy. Design-wise, it's not hard to make a case that they used one too many flags (and three or four too many scrims), but seeing so many obviously expensive visual elements on the field made it easy to criticize them for having an unfair advantage.

Today, many years removed, I did what has become a 4th of July ritual: I watched "American Variations" with my wife. And, right on cue, she became teary-eyed during the ballad.

I feel a twinge of guilt for bashing that show. Yes, Star very clearly spent a lot of bread on the visuals (unlike all the other years, when they really skimped on spending, right?). But they were used to such great effect - even (okay, especially) the massive visual at the end. There have been other patriotic-themed shows since, notably '95 Cadets, which I also very much enjoy. But Star '92 stands out as a show that, even nearly two decades later, still holds up as both patriotic and beautiful.

So today I will no longer deny the emotion that that show evoked in me then and still brings me now. Star, I hope you accept a heartfelt apology for criticizing a wonderful show. And thank you so much for your gift to the activity and our nation.

Thank you very much!

That means a lot and made my morning!!!

Edited by SACMellos2010

Possibly THE best ensemble in the history of DCI. I marched Freelancers in 92 and I remember one of our horn instructors (Richie Hodge) actually "order" the horn line to get front side and watch Star to see what a "proper" horn line sounded like. Eighteen years on and I finally get it. I haven't heard another line like that since then. Nobody else has even come close.

name='SACMellos2010' date='Jul 7 2010, 01:54 PM' post='2829930']

Thank you very much!

That means a lot and made my morning!!!

Wow!! I just realized your signature shows you marching 85-92! I can't imagine the ride from year to year between 85-92...to say I'm impressed would be an understatement. Im curious as to what you considered your most memorable/favorite year(s)?? 1988 is a personal favorite show of mine- I remember the Winston Salem show (my band hosted that show) and how you guys beat PR and Cadets surprising quite a few folks. I also remember in 89 how your drumline I think might have even won semis??? 1990---THAT hornline might be my favorite hornline I've heard live ever ( and I heard it a lot that year marching in Crown )

That being said please do share any memories from those formative years (85-87) What is it like to lug all that circuse stuff around? The precursor to really big contra lines in 86... coming out in 1985 and passing several established corps--how were you guys treated??

Sorry to ramble --would just love to pick your brain!

Regards,

CM

CM,

You couldn't ask for a better person "whose brain you'd like to pick" regarding the history of Star.

"Little One", as we called him in 85, was one of (if not the) youngest people in the corps. Short, skinny, big feet - with a heart, attitude and work ethic that wouldn't quit. A great member, and one who has contributed so very much to the Star history.

"Little One" is now a very tall, very grown up gentleman with a tremendous list of personal and professional accomplishments under his belt, and somebody who still represents the Star organization in the very best possible way.

I hope you two get to "cyber connect" and chat. He's one of the really great people in an activity that is mostly full of great people.

Cheers!

Karen

Cainan - Thanks!!!

Alden - Love you man!!

CM - You have mail... sorry it is a little long.

Karen - Thank you for the kind words but honestly if it wasnt for you, our DM, and a few select others teaching/mentoring me in 1985 I would not have understood what type of work ethic was needed to march in a world class drum corps. Trust me there were days that as a 14 year old kid I didn't have my mind or heart in the right direction and you guys would fix that quickly. Maybe I hid it well at times but I matured a lot in that summer. Plus I was stubborn and always had that "kiss my a** I will show you" attitude:) That was a fun summer and the announcement you made at the banquet has to be one of, if not THE, best announcement in Star history:)

Are you going to make it to Semi's???

Cainan - Thanks!!!

Alden - Love you man!!

CM - You have mail... sorry it is a little long.

Karen - Thank you for the kind words but honestly if it wasnt for you, our DM, and a few select others teaching/mentoring me in 1985 I would not have understood what type of work ethic was needed to march in a world class drum corps. Trust me there were days that as a 14 year old kid I didn't have my mind or heart in the right direction and you guys would fix that quickly. Maybe I hid it well at times but I matured a lot in that summer. Plus I was stubborn and always had that "kiss my a** I will show you" attitude:) That was a fun summer and the announcement you made at the banquet has to be one of, if not THE, best announcement in Star history:)

Are you going to make it to Semi's???

Brent,

I think it's best if I stay away, but I'll be rooting for you to have the performance and experience of a lifetime with all of my heart. I know you'll absolutely throw down your very, very best, as will the rest of the gang.

Enjoy every minute!

Love ya!

Karen