Attending my first DCI event on the 22nd!

To the OP: if you REALLY want to get the whole experience, try to get there early and watch a couple of the corps warm up. Depending upon your favorite section (brass, perc or guard), you can pick up little tidbits of technique on stretching, warm ups, beathing exercises, etc.

Also, be sure to buy a souvie!

This

Get there as early as you can and catch some of the warmups, smell some bus fumes, watch the intensity and focus the kids put into everything they do. You only ever get ONE first drum corps show, make the most of it.

Most importantly have a great time :)

and yes, buy a T-shirt

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This

Get there as early as you can and catch some of the warmups, smell some bus fumes, watch the intensity and focus the kids put into everything they do. You only ever get ONE first drum corps show, make the most of it.

Most importantly have a great time :)

and yes, buy a T-shirt

Lol, ummmm, I wouldn't recommend smelling bus fumes. :worthy:

Terrible attitude? Give me a break. I harbor no ill will to the guy, but I am not going to sugar coat it and pretend like such a poor spectator behavior is all well and good. What's next, are you going to be okay with booing? How about getting up and going to and fro during a performance? There are a given amount of social norms that are somewhat expected at shows or are we going to throw that away as well? Of course you are free to do as you please, and by all means have some favorites, but to skip the 'daylight' units is disrespectful, shortsighted, and not at all in the spirit of what the activity is really about. Somebody has to say it.

The fan is about to attend his very first Drum Corps show live ever. They'll be 12 Corps at the show, and apparently he's willing to sit for 10 of them. He ( nor I ) didn't say " he's going to be ok with booing". He didn't say he was going to be " getting up at the show and going to and fro during the perfomances ".

His quest to go and watch 10 of the 12 shows on his first time ever should be commended, in my opinion. Unlike you, I do not consider this possible new fan to be " disrespectful "..... nor " shortsighted "....

I think you have exhibited a horrible attitude toward a potential new fan apparently willing to watch 10 of the 12 Corps at the show in his very first visit to a Drum Corps competition. There,... " somebody has to say it ".

Edited by BRASSO

Do I detect a bit of jealousy among some of those who have been around drum corps awhile?

I have to admit that my first show was way back in 1965! I did not have the added benefit of being able to view the corps via video prior to my first live show. I did not know what a drum corps was, nor had I even seen a corps in a parade prior to that show!

But.......................

The experience was incredible!

I remember the thrill I felt as each corps performed!

Jealousy?

Yes, I am jealous! I don't get to see my very first drum corps competition today!

But...............

I do get to see each competition I attend as if it were my first!

Spectacular!

Enjoy it! Live it!

"Come.....FEEL the music!!" (quote from DCI.org)

Yours in Drum Corps,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

Thanks to all the people not trying to shoot me down here :)

To everyone else, I am still now offended and actually appreciate your honesty, if skipping certain corps performances is rude then obviously it's not something I want to do. I'm only 17 and it's hard for me to enjoy certain shows. But, based on what I've read I will go ahead and show up in time to hear ALL corps just because they should be much more amazing live (Which I knew from the beginning)

I might even show up early to see the Warm-up's since I plan on auditioning for crown this year and it would be cool to see part of the process corps go through before a show :D

Edited by Lawlz