Place Corps Score

World Class

1 7th Regiment 76.300

1 Spartans 76.300

3 Les Stentors 66.100

4 Platinum 57.850

5 Spirit of Newark/NJ 53.800

6 Blue Saints 49.800

Wow, look at the 7th giving the Spartans everything they can handle.

Looks like a battle to the end...

Saturday, July 17

Place Corps Score

World Class

1 7th Regiment 76.300

1 Spartans 76.300

3 Les Stentors 66.100

4 Platinum 57.850

5 Spirit of Newark/NJ 53.800

6 Blue Saints 49.800

Wow, look at the 7th giving the Spartans everything they can handle.

Looks like a battle to the end...

Cali.

i've been talking about this group of boys and girls all season - with the disclaimer that my daughter is a rookie in the pit and my son is the brass caption guy and I'm even associated loosely myself - but it's not that stuff - really. This is a group of kids who could have marched in any era. They remind me of the Boston kids of the early 90s. They must knonw that there's a competition going on, but they don't sem to care much about anything but each other and their show.

They're a long way from clean and they've just started to scratch the surface of a very difficult show, but they have one thing going - okay probably a few things. Here's a couple: They have an organization that loves them. I haven't met a better bunch of people than the Surfer Alumni folks who supoort the corps. Sound cliche? Then choose not to believe me. Second - they dig each other - the beauty of a smaller corps is that everyone is into everyone. They have kids from NYC and kids from Maine, everywhere in between and from parts of the rest of the country and by the time July rolled around it was just the corps with the (my opinion) goofy name.

Leaving last night there was that familiar (to me) old scene of piles of kids all over the place around the trucks (they - so far - do school buses and box trucks instead of the big coaches and 90 ' tractor trailer rig - they look a little humble next to Spartans. But sitting there around their trucks which are stuffed to the gills were 50 or so kids hanging out BSing talking, smiling, seemingly unaware that they're in the middle of a pitched competition. May they always stay that way. I was going to say it's like old style drum corps with a new twist, but it's really like new style drum corps with an old twist - and they still remind me of Boston, especially vintage Boston. Kids who love each other with an organization that loves them. Now if their name were not so goofy.

I saw them at the Bristol RI show on the 2nd of July and well...... it was BAD

Then I just saw them In Bridgewater and WOW..I wrote in another post that they would pass the Spartans

For an open class Corps that is one hell of a show.....

I saw them at the Bristol RI show on the 2nd of July and well...... it was BAD

Then I just saw them In Bridgewater and WOW..I wrote in another post that they would pass the Spartans

For an open class Corps that is one hell of a show.....

The goals right now have little or nothing to do with passing Spartans - right now the corps is just trying to catch up to and pass 7th... as you point out - it's a tough show. The purpose this year seems to have been to raise the bar higher than the corps could possibly vault - and then teach them to vault it.

Only time will tell...

i heard from even over here in the mid west they have the best designed show any corps other than most world class corps has ever seen. i saw a video of them on youtube, and cant wait to see them execute it in person in virginia this weekend

i heard from even over here in the mid west they have the best designed show any corps other than most world class corps has ever seen. i saw a video of them on youtube, and cant wait to see them execute it in person in virginia this weekend

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to comment on the quality of the design, but I can tell you that the design staff is culled largely from BAC veterans (former marchers) and there's that very Boston hard-nosed "don't tell me what I can't do - let's figure out how to do it" sort of mystique.

Whether that's been projected to the kids or the kids imbued them with that ethic, the marching members are the same ilk. I've never, not once, heard whining on the hottest days, the worst thunderstorms, the longest weekends. I don't know what they're all like as individuals, but as a corps they're tough as a street gang (something else the group shares with Boston).

There's an incredibly strong influence from the support staff, many of whom performed with the Surfers BITD - another hard-edged group. I don't know how far this corps will go this year or in the future, and at my age I don't think they're going to need much more consulting from a multi-kid grandfather, but if what it takes is determination, toughness, and support, the future is awfully bright for these boys and girls.

BTW - take a listen to the Ravel String Quartet in F arranged for the percussion (and actually for the brass as well) by young Connecticut percussion pro Mike Blancafleur (who also did some time in Boston's pit). This is one of the best put together charts I've heard since the days I worked with Dennis Delucia or Gus Barbieri (or John Flowers, or Billy Kaufman - God I've been lucky!!!). Someone should publish this arrangment for band - just a great great chart by an incredibly talented young man. You'll be hearing this name if you haven't already.

Hope you enjoy them this weekend. I know they'll enjoy playing for you.

They remind me of the Boston kids of the early 90s. They must know that there's a competition going on, but they don't seem to care much about anything but each other and their show.

I was going to say it's like old style drum corps with a new twist, but it's really like new style drum corps with an old twist - and they still remind me of Boston, especially vintage Boston. Kids who love each other with an organization that loves them.

I met a bunch of 7th parents at Bridgeport; they reminded me of the BAMs we had on tour - and I told them that. Ray, your post brought back many BAC memories of what I consider a blessed time of my music education, and the corps I love. We may have had trouble breaking 80, with barely a hundred corps brothers and sisters, but I would not have traded that to be with 127 strangers. NO GAVA!

I met a bunch of 7th parents at Bridgeport; they reminded me of the BAMs we had on tour - and I told them that. Ray, your post brought back many BAC memories of what I consider a blessed time of my music education, and the corps I love. We may have had trouble breaking 80, with barely a hundred corps brothers and sisters, but I would not have traded that to be with 127 strangers. NO GAVA!

Amen.

I thought I was too grown up for drum corps by the time I caught on with BOSCRU. What a life-affirming experience those years were because of folks like you.

I only wish for this growing phenomenon from CT that they catch that attitude and never gava.

Only one corps a year wins. The rest of it is what you take away from it. The friendships, families, relationships for life.

Maybe they can learn to be Giants.