Why was the El Paso show cancelled?

Sorry if the answer is nearby and I didn't dig deep enough.

Exhibition show? Why not go ahead and do a full fledged DCI show? That's a shame. There are some good HS bands in the El Paso area (or at least there used to be). It would have been good for the kids to see that.

Exhibition show? Why not go ahead and do a full fledged DCI show? That's a shame. There are some good HS bands in the El Paso area (or at least there used to be). It would have been good for the kids to see that.

A full-fledged DCI show would include $XXXX.00 for judges. An exhibition performance would not. No doubt a consideration, however it appears the show sponsor could not get their act together so the show was canceled. Back in the 90s this would happen from time to time. Corps have learned to deal with it.

When shows are scheduled in the off season ... show sponsors have a few different choices about the type of show they want to host. If they just don't have the budget to do a full panel of judges, DCI will do what they can to accommodate and do a reduced panel early season show, or do an exhibition that is not judged. The show sponsor still has to pay the going rate for performance fees but trust me, judges costs are HUGE (lodging, transportation, show pay, food etc.)

Either they didn't raise the funds needed or they could have lost the show site or housing fell through. Ya never know, but we usually don't see a cancellation once tour has already started. This is pretty rare, so I'm guessing it was a site issue/conflict.

I'm from El Paso. Went to my first drum corps show IN El Paso in 2001 (first show in town since 1985).

In 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, and 2008, the show was in the Sun Bowl at UTEP. I loved going to this show every year, and I was fortunate enough to have a "home show" when I marched in 2003. I miss the El Paso Show.

I do NOT, however, miss the "trophy" each corps got: a pinata.

---

By the way, they still have some GREAT high school bands in El Paso. Somewhat regular State 5A contenders, too.

By the way, they still have some GREAT high school bands in El Paso. Somewhat regular State 5A contenders, too.

Americas, Bel Air, Coronado, and J.M. Hanks would be the best of the bunch, I believe.