What do you think of the lineup for the Odessa show?

No disrespect toward the corps at this show, but why are tickets only $12 for any seat? If it was all these corps plus the Blue Devils, would the price be the same? If the lineup was exclusively the top 7 corps from Finals last year, would the price be the same?

If I lived in the area, I would still go to this show. In fact, back in 2006, I attended my first Div II/III DCI show in Frisco and was wowed by Academy then and thought they could be competing in World Class.

The line-up is the same as DCI set at the beginning of the season. As far as the ticket price, each sponsor figures out what they need to charge to hold the show, pay their bills and hopefully put some money in their pocket. What the ticket prices are is up to each sponsor.

The Academy - Tempe, AZ

Mandarins - Sacramento, CA

Pacific Crest - Diamond Bar, CA

Cascades - Seattle, WA

Revolution - San Antonio, TX

Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

Genesis - Edinburg, TX

That's definitely worth $12.

You have a corps pushing for top 12, 2 or 3 corps pushing for semi's, the current #1 seed in Open Class and 2 more very good corps to boot. If this is a small panel show or an exhibition ..... I'm sure $12 a head will cover all expenses and make the show sponsor some money. Then again, the performance fees for these corps are less than the top 12 corps in World Class, so that might be a contributing factor to the lower ticket price.

How big is the stadium at Odessa? Any idea of the capacity?

I've never seen an Odessa show before ........ my guess is this is their first year? If so, this is a smart start for a new show sponsor!!!!! Best of luck to the corps and I hope everyone in the area gets a chance to head there and support the corps with a nice big crowd and lots of baby throwing.

How big is the stadium at Odessa? Any idea of the capacity?

I've never seen an Odessa show before ........ my guess is this is their first year? If so, this is a smart start for a new show sponsor!!!!! Best of luck to the corps and I hope everyone in the area gets a chance to head there and support the corps with a nice big crowd and lots of baby throwing.

There have been shows in the area for years. From 2001 - 2008 there was a show in Midland every year. In 2007 there were even two (one mixed, one Div II/III about a week apart.) Since this show is listed on DCI's website as Thunder in the Desert, its safe to assume its the same people who've been running the show since 2001. The only previous mention I find of an Odessa show is 1991, where Star of Indiana beat the 2nd place corps (my beloved Blue Knights) by 12 points.

As far as the stadium goes, did you ever see Friday Night Lights (the movie, not the TV show)? Same stadium, serves both Odessa and Permian High Schools. Seats 19,000 total so my guess is around 9 or 10 thousand on the concert side.

Edited by Flyboy1177

There have been shows in the area for years. From 2001 - 2008 there was a show in Midland every year. In 2007 there were even two (one mixed, one Div II/III about a week apart.) Since this show is listed on DCI's website as Thunder in the Desert, its safe to assume its the same people who've been running the show since 2001. The only previous mention I find of an Odessa show is 1991, where Star of Indiana beat the 2nd place corps (my beloved Blue Knights) by 12 points.

As far as the stadium goes, did you ever see Friday Night Lights (the movie, not the TV show)? Same stadium, serves both Odessa and Permian High Schools. Seats 19,000 total so my guess is around 9 or 10 thousand on the concert side.

Definitely some money to be made if they fill concert side. On tickets alone, I think they could cover all expenses including a full panel of judges with about 4000 tickets sold. I haven't been to a DCI meeting since '07 so I'm not sure what the performance fees are these days .... but I'm sure that's pretty close. If the sponsor as that long of a history hosting a show in the area ... I'm sure they're pretty confident they'll turn a buck by hosting this show at the listed price of $12. No sense in charging Regional rates and losing ticket sales because of it.

They could probably get away with $20 for this event IMO. Regardless of the lineup, IT'S DRUM CORPS! People in this area are so far away from everything else so the demand is much higher. Why not up the price and pay the corps a little more. Lord knows they'd appreciate that!

$12.00....such a deal! You could even afford a trip to the concession stand or souvi booth at that price!

FWIW, Re: Southwest Corps Connection (Academy home show) in Mesa, AZ last night had the same line up of World Class Corps scheduled for Odessa, Plus SCV Cadets and Impulse. I paid, I believe, a very reasonable price of $20.00 for early bird Reserved seats on the 50 yard line, 17 rows up. (same section/same day tickets cost $25.00.) Shame the World Class Corps portion of show got rained out ) - :

Still, Cascades, Pacific Crest and The Academy put on their entire field shows in exhibition once the storm passed at 10:00 PM.....got out at 10:45 PM....no encore. Unfortunately, Mandarins departed show site once Show Director Tom Hope called

the show due to rain and lightening.

I was at this show in 1991 and couldn't believe my eyes and ears when Star did their show. Still, one of my all-time favorite shows.