Drum Corps and P90X

Protein powder is just protein. It's not a drug or anything. It is made from milk.

This is like saying you wouldn't want your kid eating eggs.

She was probably referring to the creatine, which I didn't think about (and totally understand). I was actually more thinking that a corps would just suggest that members bring a bottle of each, anyways, so it would really be at the member's discretion if they actually did it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two comments:

As an endurance athlete who has completed 20 marathons and some Ultras, I can add that protein supplements are vital over the long haul. The biggest benefit IMO is that it allows you to repair tissue so that you may do subsequent work the following day. In fact, I just consumed a protein shake following a 90 degree mid-day 10 mile workout & know I'll be able to do it again tomorrow.

Second: Both my wife & I are amazed at how much weight many MM carry. One would think that the hard work and long hours would trim the physiques to a greater degree.

Bottom line-both cardio & muscle exercise necessary, and Protein is vital for lean muscle mass development.

Know that many visual staff emphasize flexibility as well. Agree that a stronger/healthier MM will perform better.

Protein powder is just protein. It's not a drug or anything. It is made from milk.

This is like saying you wouldn't want your kid eating eggs.

This, I've run into a few people who seem to think whey protein is something similar to steroids.

Has anyone taken protein over tour to try to keep muscle on? One of the things I'm slightly concerned about is losing hours of weight training over the summer .

This, I've run into a few people who seem to think whey protein is something similar to steroids.

Has anyone taken protein over tour to try to keep muscle on? One of the things I'm slightly concerned about is losing hours of weight training over the summer .

I think realistically all you can hope to do with that much cardio is minimize muscle loss, you probably aren't going to be gaining much if any muscle at all. You'll probably lose some muscle, but if you play your cards right you can make sure that you mostly lose fat, and if you workout hard once you get back making up the lost ground shouldn't be that difficult.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I lost 13 pounds going from 152 to 139. I was super-ripped, but without actually doing resistance training on tour it is going to be hard to keep as much muscle on as you want. The upside is that you'll be super ripped if you're already in good shape.

Yes, there's plenty of cardio, but pushups and even holding the horn up count as resistance training.

I think corps would need to add two more meals to the day in order to come anywhere close to providing enough calories to support a strength training regimen.

I wouldn't do P90X, either. Compound lifts would probably be the most beneficial: squat, deadlift, (overhead) press, etc., w/ free weights (no machines).

I wouldn't do P90X, either. Compound lifts would probably be the most beneficial: squat, deadlift, (overhead) press, etc., w/ free weights (no machines).

So, where is all this equipment going to go?

And what's wrong with P90X? It's an effective workout that can be done in an hour without gym equipment (although you can use dumbells).

For building muscle mass I agree. P90X is fine for losing body fat, but not really gaining muscle.

However I doubt many corps have room for a power cage on tour :laughing: