The Percussion Discussion

WHAT in the HELL happened to Statesmen field percussion score?

8.7 to a 7.9 in technique

17.5 to a 16.1 in field percussion is a drastic drop from one show to the next. Sounds like the infamous 2002 Syracuse and Finals drum scores presented to you by Mr. R Robinson

LOL i got blasted back then for complaining about that

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this does seem odd. I wonder where and what years Ed A. marched? I think I know the answer though. What a shame, to be that obvious. Shame on DCA. :tongue:

yeah I remember Stauffer getting #### for us winning in 95 and 96, even tho everyone else in DCA had us winning drums by a lot too :worthy:

LOL i got blasted back then for complaining about that

I was a VERY unhappy camper at Syracuse and Finals when Robinson dropped Grenadiers, Statesmen and Brigadiers who were 1st, 2nd and 3rd in percussion almost all summer. We were riding on such a high that summer.

I can't remember the outcome for others, but Grenadiers went from 5th overall in percussion in prelims to 9th in finals. There is seriously something really wrong there. 1 judge changed the entire outcome of our finals weekend. If we would have stayed 5th in percussion for finals, we wouldn't have tied Corpsvets and maybe jumped up a spot.

There was no denying he favoured Cabs, Bucs, and Bush percussion over the Northern NY and Canada folks.

An interesting piece of info, Ed Argenziano was also the judge that put Rhythm X 5th in Music GE on Finals night in Dayton this year. Looking at the recap, Empire's field score was only a tenth about Fusion Core... where as Thurston had Empire 3 tenths above Hurcs for ensemble. Hard to believe there could have been that much of a discrepancy from the field to the box.

Jim Joyce anyone?

Now that would have been an interesting critique to attend...

no mention of mbi's drumline who scored a 18.5 in field and a 17.6 in ensemble.

361 over hurcs 349

Edited by skeptic

You can criticize all you want, but how DARE you all accuse Ed Argenziano of being less than impartial.

Mark Thurston and Ed Argenziano have more experience than I have years on this planet! They surely know their stuff!!!

You can disagree with one of them, or both of them ... but how dare ANY of us accuse either of them of impropriety. They both judged the show the way they saw it.

NOBODY should fault them for that!

no mention of mbi's drumline who scored a 18.5 in field and a 17.6 in ensemble.

361 over hurcs 349

When are we going to learn you can't compare scores from different shows? I have not seen MBI this year although I saw them last year in Rochester. I think last year them and Hurcs were neck and neck and I'm pretty sure the scores reflected that. I wouldn't be shocked if it were the same this year.

Anybody know where I could find on-line footage of Hurcs, Empire, and Bucs (non-open house, non-cadence)? The only lines I could find on youtube are Alliance (who ROCKS) and MBI (who I've already seen a time or two this year).

Brass's line is prrrrrrretty good this year. watch out. :)

As far as the Argenziano conspiracy theory goes... I think it's far more likely he just sees it differently. Judging is most DEFINITELY subjective. I think just about every corps has a guy that they DON'T want to see on finals night. Empire's is Ed.

Anybody know where I could find on-line footage of Hurcs, Empire, and Bucs (non-open house, non-cadence)? The only lines I could find on youtube are Alliance (who ROCKS) and MBI (who I've already seen a time or two this year).

Brass's line is prrrrrrretty good this year. watch out. :)

As far as the Argenziano conspiracy theory goes... I think it's far more likely he just sees it differently. Judging is most DEFINITELY subjective. I think just about every corps has a guy that they DON'T want to see on finals night. Empire's is Ed.

Judging by your signature, you've been seeing them all year :thumbup: