The Percussion Discussion

When is the last time anyone has beaten the Bucs in a percussion caption at a show? Having heard 4 of the top 5 lines this season, I don't see it happening anytime soon unless MBI comes in really strong.

I agree with that!!! I am an old drummer and it is sometimes hard for me to recognize who is better etc. But I can read the recaps and the Bucs have been consistantly ahead in the last two or so years. so whether they are dirty or not, how do you explain that? Another thing you must remember is that the Snare line is very young and has few veterans. So give the Battery instructors a lot of credit for achieving what they have. I personally am glad that my ears are not as good as they were because I can enjoy all of the lines and not consistantly pick out errors. Their is a lot of drumming in Drum Corps and thankfully the writers and instructors come closer and closer to being a ligitimate percussion ensemble than ever before. Lets hear it for all corps drum lines, horns, guards too. :cool:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great night in Scranton. Was anyone else there? There HAD to have been some other drum-heads there (awful pun intended). Sorry Secaucus folks, it was a little too wet out there for my liking!

I don't think it's fair at this point in time, as fans, to review a corps based on their performance because on any given night, any given line can have a great or a terrible show. So I'll give my opinions based on structure and the level of performance I've seen each percussion section at consistently throughout the year.

Cabs... I was hoping they would progress as the season went on but with all of the stuff they have dealt with, it looks like they never got the time necessary to make that battery what it could have been. Snare line is ridiculously clean and they play a LOT. Same with the bass drums. The tenor section leaves something to be desired but like I said, there isn't much they can do at this point. I think the book was a little over their heads and maybe a little dense in certain spots. All of that being said, their front ensemble was one of the best in the circuit. From performance down to composition.

Empire... I've said it multiple times in multiple different threads: they are very good at what they do, they just don't do anything. There isn't much else to say. They are clean, and I guess in a way that's entertaining in itself. That's unfortunately the name of the game though. I just wish judging was done a different way. Or at least a demand subcaption put on the sheets. I don't want to discredit Empire AT ALL because they are a very good percussion section, it's just not my cup of tea.

Buccs... I don't think there's anyone that has it more figured out than Buccs. The best design by miles of any group. They aren't "as clean" as they were in previous years but they are very very efficient. They have some exposed moments and NAIL them. My only complaint would be what they do when they aren't exposed. They seem to hang out on the field but then again, I guess if it's not detracting from the corps performance, they are doing their job. I still think they are the best percussion section in DCA. The front ensemble compliments the battery and corps very well. Kudos to Reading on another great year.

Hurcs... Now I haven't seen MBI or Alliance in person, but if there is one battery out there that could and should dethrone Reading in field percussion, it's Hurcs. It seems like everything Buccs do, Hurcs one-up them. Buccs get in a diamond and do body movements, Hurcs do the same but play through it. Buccs have exposed moments where they put down notes, Hurcs do the same but move during it. I would say they are on a relatively even level of achievement as well, with Buccs getting the slight edge. These guys can MOVE! Huge props to the staff for putting the most demand on their members than any other corps in the circuit.

Rochester is going to be very VERY fun, especially with MBI and Alliance thrown into the mix. It's been a good season for drummin' folks. Unfortunately, everything has to come to an end :tongue:

One quick edit: I'm a fool for leaving out Bush. A small line, but VERY clean line. I stood up for them when they beat Empire in Kingston although I wasn't there because they are playing a lot and achieving a lot. Unfortunately, size matters. We're still talking about percussion here people, mind out of the gutters!

Edited by DrumminDude

Come on now... NO ONE?!

:tongue:

Seems to me everyone kinda shut up now that MBI is in first in all percussion categories and is so close to first overall... I think everyone is angry that their beloved corps may lose out this year...but then again thats just what I think.

[see signature for sarcasm pirate]

Edited by skeptic

Empire... I've said it multiple times in multiple different threads: they are very good at what they do, they just don't do anything. There isn't much else to say. They are clean, and I guess in a way that's entertaining in itself. That's unfortunately the name of the game though. I just wish judging was done a different way. Or at least a demand subcaption put on the sheets. I don't want to discredit Empire AT ALL because they are a very good percussion section, it's just not my cup of tea.

It seems clear that nothing Empire does will impress you, I don't see the point in making the same comments multiple times.

Hurcs... Now I haven't seen MBI or Alliance in person, but if there is one battery out there that could and should dethrone Reading in field percussion, it's Hurcs. It seems like everything Buccs do, Hurcs one-up them. Buccs get in a diamond and do body movements, Hurcs do the same but play through it. Buccs have exposed moments where they put down notes, Hurcs do the same but move during it. I would say they are on a relatively even level of achievement as well, with Buccs getting the slight edge. These guys can MOVE! Huge props to the staff for putting the most demand on their members than any other corps in the circuit.

I just don't see it. Their demand isn't blowing my mind nor does it stand out above the crowd, and frankly they're not that clean. IMO.

Buccs... I don't think there's anyone that has it more figured out than Buccs. The best design by miles of any group. They aren't "as clean" as they were in previous years but they are very very efficient. They have some exposed moments and NAIL them. My only complaint would be what they do when they aren't exposed. They seem to hang out on the field but then again, I guess if it's not detracting from the corps performance, they are doing their job. I still think they are the best percussion section in DCA. The front ensemble compliments the battery and corps very well. Kudos to Reading on another great year.

Pretty hard to disagree with this one. So I will just amend, they are the best percussion section in DCA for now. I really think they can be caught by a few different groups.

One quick edit: I'm a fool for leaving out Bush. A small line, but VERY clean line. I stood up for them when they beat Empire in Kingston although I wasn't there because they are playing a lot and achieving a lot. Unfortunately, size matters. We're still talking about percussion here people, mind out of the gutters!

Again, we get it, you don't like Empire.

I don't dislike Empire. I even said watching lines play clean is fun in it's own right. I've never once discredited them. I just prefer the Buccs and Hurcs style of demand and simultaneous responsibility. I will never put down a corps that achieves as well as Empire does.

Thanks for the kind wordas about our line, we have a lot of talent this year but as you mentioned, it's been probably one of the heardest years you could ask for.

Just one thing,

"it looks like they never got the time necessary to make that battery what it could have been. "

I just wanna say, take a look at the drum scores from sundays show ;)

http://www.dcacorps.org/wp-content/uploads...22-secaucus.pdf

Pretty hard to disagree with this one. So I will just amend, they are the best percussion section in DCA for now.

I can. They are not even in first. Boy some of you are blind as bats on here.

You will get the argument of two different shows and panels, but I agree with you

According to what? Rankings? Based on scores from shows 1000 miles apart on different days? MBI is good, but they have not even gone head to head against Reading yet. Nor will they before prelims. MBI does currently hold the highest score. Good for them, but that doesn't necessarily make them "first". IMO there is no "first" right now. We'll see how they stack up when Reading is setting the bar. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Look at the "rankings" and you'll see Empire in 4th place overall, but EVERY time they meet those top 6 corps they end up in 2nd, behind Reading. Reading is the only corps that has beaten them this season, but they are "ranked" 4th. Not very reliable. MBI is gonna be really good (they are always one of my favorites) so it will be exciting to see how everything lines up at prelims!