Houston: Night 2

Hello again. The Houston experience is complete. Even though I did slightly better on time tonight, I still ended up missing Teal Sound (boo), but managed to catch everyone else.

Pioneer: Usually fairly indifferent to them. I thought they did well tonight. Nice size and they fill the show up rather well. Got some good ovations. And, of course, loved it when they trooped the stands.

Crossmen: Caught them at field level (well, almost field level) so effect was pretty lost on me. Individually, there are still some issues that need addressing. I love that they are doing Metheny again and I would like to see this one move up, but with the thickness surrounding the 12 spot, they've got quite a ways to go.

Colts: Usually fairly indifferent to them as well. Tonight was no exception. I thought they were cleaner than Crossmen and had a bit more demand in their product, but the show doesn't grab me. Neon green is not nearly as effective as we are led to believe, IMO.

Madison Scouts: Yes. Good drum corps. That's what this show is. Very retro, very fitting for this edition of the Madison Scouts. The uniforms look fine and the show is being sold very well. This should be a lock for Finals.

Blue Knights: Very accessible program, not unlike last year. I, for one, dug the years when they did dark, creepy stuff but they've lightened up and are being rewarded for it. They also got rid of that step that they did; that kinda sucks. Oh well, the best corps to come on thus far.

Boston Crusaders: I'm glad they kept the white from last year; such a good choice. I like the concept of the kingdom and I dig the music selections. They are playing it fine but this design is going to keep them in the lower echelon this year. Still, a fun show that's got me thinking about where they got that music.

Phantom Regiment: I was ready to be thoroughly disappointed after last year's Red Violin debacle. Not that it turned into a bad show, it's just that with such great music that was where they decided to go with it? I'm a big Kamen fan and know this piece fairly well. The arrangements are tastefully done and crafted just for that hornline sound. Unfortunately, the hornline isn't holding their end of the deal. Too much forcing and noise. Soloist is solid, which I guess he should be considering he doesn't march. But still, exposed is exposed. Visually, this is a HUGE step up from last year. Lots of HARD, HARD drill. Problem is I'm not sure they're getting the effect that they need from such efforts. But their feet looked great just the same. Drumline was smokin'. Could see this in 6th, but SCV brought it last night with a great show, so we'll see.

Cavaliers: I was ready to not like this. Boy, was I wrong. I don't even know where to begin with this show. Hornline was good and clear, drums were fine. Michael Gaines comes through once again with some very impressive drill. I loved the guard uniforms; very "Equilibrium"-esque. The rifle part at the end was very cool. I kinda need to see it again to wrap my head around it but a very pleasant suprise from the Green crew this year.

Cadets: Another cool show. I'm glad George Hopkins decided to put his agenda on hold and do some drum corps for a change. I really like the concept; the "kid" is selling his role very well. Herald trumpets were a nice touch and it's cool to see the guard in the corps uniform. As another person commented, I am worried that they are reaching the maximum that this show has to offer too soon. I wasn't suprised that Cavaliers beat them tonight.

Blue Devils: Guys. This is number 14. Sorry. I admit the mirrors are a bit clunky and can be distracting, especially on a first read, but they are being used very well to communicate their concept anywhere they want. I love the Graettanger on the field but the end is a bit selfish. I wish they would have reprised La Suerte for the end rather than throw the audience to the wolves of serialism. They are clean, very clean and the design of the show (not just mirrors) is heads above anybody else. Combine that with a performance level that is just unparalleled with anything I have seen yet and you've got another undefeated season. Many people may not like that, but I can't see anybody coming close to this. I just hope that they don't score much higher than last year at Finals.

Phantom Regiment: Too much forcing and noise.

:worthy:

They still only have two dynamic levels...LOUD and OFF :thumbdown:

Blue Devils: Guys. This is number 14. Sorry. I admit the mirrors are a bit clunky and can be distracting, especially on a first read, but they are being used very well to communicate their concept anywhere they want. I love the Graettanger on the field but the end is a bit selfish. I wish they would have reprised La Suerte for the end rather than throw the audience to the wolves of serialism. They are clean, very clean and the design of the show (not just mirrors) is heads above anybody else. Combine that with a performance level that is just unparalleled with anything I have seen yet and you've got another undefeated season. Many people may not like that, but I can't see anybody coming close to this. I just hope that they don't score much higher than last year at Finals.

Stay tuned!

Stay tuned!

Gasp!

to be fair, there are some beautiful moments in Regiment's hornline performance, in ALL dynamics, I might add. Their preshow and the end, for that matter, was just breathtaking and their arrangements are wonderfully done to showcase a layered and balanced hornline sound. It's just that their louds were a bit forced and there were a few tone criminals than were noticeable in the other corps that are in their league, more or less.