DCI Student Discount

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!

Math has never been their strong suit. I did an analysis for a post on RAMD about this subject several years ago.

Basically, the average ticket price for finals is $72.50. At 15K fans, that's $1,087,500. Now, if the average price were $50, and 10K more people showed up, that would be $1,250,000. That doesn't look like much more money for seats sold, but when you add in additional concessions for DCI and souvie sales for the corps, that's could be a huge difference.

There are dozens of other scenarios that could be made, but I'm up against a clock right now. This is one simple example.

Garry in Vegas

Garry,

Stop trying to use common sense when DCI is involved.

You'll sleep much better !

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!

Math has never been their strong suit. I did an analysis for a post on RAMD about this subject several years ago.

Basically, the average ticket price for finals is $72.50. At 15K fans, that's $1,087,500. Now, if the average price were $50, and 10K more people showed up, that would be $1,250,000. That doesn't look like much more money for seats sold, but when you add in additional concessions for DCI and souvie sales for the corps, that's could be a huge difference.

There are dozens of other scenarios that could be made, but I'm up against a clock right now. This is one simple example.

Garry in Vegas

The big problem with this thought is that there is no guarantee that an additional 10,000 people will show up.

The bigger problem with this thought: the fact that there are not 10,000 more seats between the 40 yard lines - which is where we all want to sit.

Those extra 10,000 people will all be sitting out past the 10 yard lines. Or you will.

Seeing as DCI's fan base is made up of many students, college and high school, has it ever been thought of to give a student discount for any tickets?

I'm a college student myself and I work all summer in order to pay for school during the fall and winter semesters. This year I will once again be making my yearly trip down to finals, but this year will be a little bit different. Seeing as the prices for any decent seat in Lucas Oil Stadium are $75+ dollars, I will not be going in to see the show this year. Instead I plan to head down and just watch the lot scene all day. I have also even considered going to Open Class Finals as it is much cheaper, and you get to see some pretty good shows. I'm disapointed that the prices were bumped up from last year which made finals much more affordable. So has this ever happened? Would it ever work? I think discounts to college students would be great. It doesn't even have to be that much. If the discount made the prices the same as last year I probably wouldn't mind paying for it, but for now $75 just seems like a lot of money for the value of seat you're getting.

The price of $75 is not the only price they charge. (Finals range from $35 to $125.)

But if you want a great value that may be more in your range - try Quarterfinals. Prices start at $25 and you get to see all of the World Class corps in one marathon show at the end of the year when all of them are at their best. It is a great day.

The price of $75 is not the only price they charge. (Finals range from $35 to $125.)

But if you want a great value that may be more in your range - try Quarterfinals. Prices start at $25 and you get to see all of the World Class corps in one marathon show at the end of the year when all of them are at their best. It is a great day.

And because the place is emptier, it sounds even worse in there.

Nothing personal kid, but you have just made the point that many on here have argued about for the past few years. The audience DCI is targeting can't afford tickets, yet DCI keeps pushing the legacy fans (who can afford it) away from the activity. Not a great business plan.

I agree. I think the OP's question is a good one, and it would be nice if DCI had some discounts for students. Occasionally, I have seen this sort of thing at some local shows, but the bigger DCI regional shows and for the week of Finals, no.

But...you're right about DCI's, or more so to the point, the G7's idea of hitting the schools. You recruit in the schools for members, not so much for ticket buyers. Sure, you want to advertise to band directors and high school students to some extent, but DCI must find a way to attract the 25 years and older working professional. They have jobs and are becoming more stable and secure in their life and their careers.

Sometimes I look at this model and here is what I see:

We do not advertise to and have often turned our backs on the older, wiser population of drum corps fans with income to spend,

We give free tickets to high-school band students so they can attend shows,

We discount some tickets for high school and college students so that we can gain their "Friendship," (they are the future)

We do this so they will remember us and be loyal customers when they are older, more stable, and working with money,

But as soon as they get older they become part of the older, wiser population, and we turn out backs to them, repeating the process.

We do not advertise to and have often turned our backs on the older, wiser population of drum corps fans with income to spend,

We discount some tickets for high school and college students so that we can gain their "Friendship," (they are the future)

We do this so they will remember us and be loyal customers when they are older, more stable, and working with money,

But as soon as they get older they become part of the older, wiser population, and we turn out backs to them, repeating the process.

Somebody needs to mail this to the G7 directors.

along with "p.s. half your alumni marched with non-G7 corps."

:satisfied::blink::wub::tongue::worthy: Sounds like an amazing idea to me.

Seeing as the prices for any decent seat in Lucas Oil Stadium are $75+ dollars, I will not be going in to see the show this year...

...$75 just seems like a lot of money for the value of seat you're getting.

There are plenty of good seats. They're just not between the 40s.

The fact is that people are willing to pay for those seats, which justifies the price. It's DCI's job to maximize profits for Finals week. My Finals group pays for good seats because it's worth it, but then again we can afford it. I paid my dues sitting in not-so-good seats for a while. It happens.

Where can I find info on this?

Here you go - found the link.

DCI is having an all day program for Music Ed Majors on Friday which includes free tickets to the World Class Semifinals. They are doing this in conjunction with MENC. Looks like a great deal to me.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4...d2-87c213e63876

How's that for a student discount?