Colts Push Into Finals

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Following this logic, we should take back the 2008 trophy from Regiment because BD and Cadets (and I think Cavs??) were too far ahead of them at this time of year for them to overcome.

Please don't follow this biased logic Colts.

HH

I figured someone would bring up 2008 regiment. The difference in this scenario is that 08 regiment had a fantastic drum line and a show that oozed general effect and that pushed them past the competition the last night despite their performance weaknesses. Colts do not have a show with tons of GE that will do that for them, PLUS they are currently about 3-4 points behind 12th... That is way too much to overcome. They will be fortunate to be 13th or 14th.

I have no allegiance to any of the corps agead of them. Just stating my opinions based on facts. If anything I am the one giving unbiased logic here.

I figured someone would bring up 2008 regiment. The difference in this scenario is that 08 regiment had a fantastic drum line and a show that oozed general effect and that pushed them past the competition the last night despite their performance weaknesses. Colts do not have a show with tons of GE that will do that for them, PLUS they are currently about 3-4 points behind 12th... That is way too much to overcome. They will be fortunate to be 13th or 14th.

Phantom's show had GE but like the Faust year it was basically nothing until the final changes were put in for Allentown.

There's still plenty of time to enhance the program to make the show soar, but the plan (ohmmmmmmmmmm...) needs to be in place for it to happen.

I have no allegiance to any of the corps agead of them. Just stating my opinions based on facts. If anything I am the one giving unbiased logic here.

Just to clarify....My reference to Regiment was about how a corps can make significant changes in the last three weeks of a season and positively change their outcome. It was NOT about comparing the quality of the 2008 Regiment program to the 2010 Colts.

If you (and by that I mean other posters as well) are telling me that a drum corps cannot make the performance and design improvements during the last three weeks of the season that are necessary to move up two or three places by the end of the season, then I have must have been watching drum corps in the parallel universe that BozzyB sarcastically referenced earlier.

I am not talking about possibilities, probabilities or happenstance. This is not about how great Regiment was compared to how the Colts are. This is not about parallel universes, cold-spots, Chuppacabra or Bigfoot. It is about how a group of young people, when properly trained and motivated, and given the chance (by you), can have the ability to turn it on, tune it up and create the momentum that it takes to move up a couple places and a couple points (the actual difference between 15 and 12 right now btw).

If you are telling me that this is not possible, then I am going to take up bowling for a hobby because I must have missed something. I have seen this happen many times over the years at many different levels of the activity. And ESPECIALLY at the level we are talking about where a great performance can seemingly come out of nowhere. Last time I looked, the best performing corps make finals.

Please don't be so dismissive of the Colts, or any of the corps that are currently ranked below 12. Thats pretty insulting to these kids who are working so hard, and who have just as much a chance of making finals as anyone else given the right performance, the right panel, and your support.

Your support could mean a lot to all of these "sub 12" corps right now.

HH

My thought was to wait for tonight to see if they really were gaining some momentum. Although the show seems like a high scoring show, I think they might be doing something right. They went head to head with both Academy and Troopers and placed higher than both. The last time I saw these shows (FN) I wouldn't have guessed it but I'm glad to see it. A solid 13th place show for any of these corps is great and shows their hard work. A solid 12th place show shows me that the kids wanted it and worked their butts off to prove everyone wrong! Great job guys!

Awesome job Colt's, lets keep it going !!!!!

Just to clarify....My reference to Regiment was about how a corps can make significant changes in the last three weeks of a season and positively change their outcome. It was NOT about comparing the quality of the 2008 Regiment program to the 2010 Colts.

If you (and by that I mean other posters as well) are telling me that a drum corps cannot make the performance and design improvements during the last three weeks of the season that are necessary to move up two or three places by the end of the season, then I have must have been watching drum corps in the parallel universe that BozzyB sarcastically referenced earlier.

I am not talking about possibilities, probabilities or happenstance. This is not about how great Regiment was compared to how the Colts are. This is not about parallel universes, cold-spots, Chuppacabra or Bigfoot. It is about how a group of young people, when properly trained and motivated, and given the chance (by you), can have the ability to turn it on, tune it up and create the momentum that it takes to move up a couple places and a couple points (the actual difference between 15 and 12 right now btw).

If you are telling me that this is not possible, then I am going to take up bowling for a hobby because I must have missed something. I have seen this happen many times over the years at many different levels of the activity. And ESPECIALLY at the level we are talking about where a great performance can seemingly come out of nowhere. Last time I looked, the best performing corps make finals.

Please don't be so dismissive of the Colts, or any of the corps that are currently ranked below 12. Thats pretty insulting to these kids who are working so hard, and who have just as much a chance of making finals as anyone else given the right performance, the right panel, and your support.

Your support could mean a lot to all of these "sub 12" corps right now.

HH

First off, if you think my support on here means anything to the kids in any corps, you are clearly misguided. I imagine that The Colts could care less what I have to say, and if they did, that would mean that they are watching and reading DCP instead of studying their music, their dot books, getting rest, and enjoying their summer. If that is the case then they have much bigger issues than trying to make top 12 IMO.

Second, I am not saying that a corps can't turn it on the last few weeks and make something magical happen in the end. I too have worked in and around the activity for quite some time with corps in the top 12, out of the top 12, competing to be in the top 12, and competing for championships. I know what it is like to teach non-top 12 corps and be pushing to make finals. I have made it in before and I have fallen short before and all I am saying is that for a corps to have that magical run the last few weeks they have to have the vehicle to do so. I don't believe that they )the colts) have it.

Phantom made changes to their show that jumped them up at the last second in 2008. No doubt without those changes, they would have been much lower. HOWEVER, even before the changes, they had the shell of a show that ALLOWED them to make the changes to be able to make that kind of jump. I am sorry to say, the colts do not have that shell to make some changes to the program that launch them above Glassmen or Madison IMO. To me, those corps have a better shell of a program (which they will be making changes to as well I assure you), and they have much better talent and a more experienced instructional staff (that trains and motivates the kids). So, that is why I made the prediction that I made.

BTW - I have said the same thing about some of the corps in the top 5 (namely the cadets) since the beginning of the season. The shell I am speaking of is the same reason I have said from the start of the season the Cadets will not be able to make a run at the title, because the shell of their show does not allow them to add layers to the program. It is a great show, but it doesn't have the legs to carry them to the top. So, my comments are not limited to the sub-12 as you put it.

If I am wrong come finals and colts make it in or the cadets win I will be the first to admit I was wrong, but the colts will be 15th (13th at the highest, 16th at the lowest) and the Cadets will be 5th (4th at the highest, 6th at the lowest).

I believe the top 12 is set. Glassmen are in-just my view.

I agree. I said right after Academy scored an 80, they had no shot at Finals, imo.

I 'd add Troopers, Colts, Spirit, and all the others to that list as well.

The Glassmen are a perennial top 12 Corps, and there is no Corps that seems poised to knock them out. Glassmen might even challenge Madison Scouts.

Last year there was a tight race for that coveted 12th spot among 3-4 Corps

Not so this year. There is a substantial gap that appears insurmountable, especially when we're talking about overtaking quality Corps with long top 12 histories like the Glassmen and the Madison Scouts.

Edited by BRASSO