Colts Push Into Finals

Are the Colts making a move? It appears after the Hattiesburg show that indeed they are. Whether they have the vehichle to crack the top twelve remains to be seen. But having been on tour recently with the Colts, I have witnessed the efforts being made. Major changes are happening. They are cleaning and filling holes with veteran marchers. The guard has new uniforms. Some magic is starting to brew within this corps and you can be sure that they are not to be counted out as top twelve contenders. After all, they have been there eight times before. Whatever has happened, the judging community has taken notice and my suggestion to Glassmen is not to let their guard down. They just could get sucker punched.

Edited by coltdad

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you (and by that I mean other posters as well) are telling me that a drum corps cannot make the performance and design improvements during the last three weeks of the season that are necessary to move up two or three places by the end of the season, then I have must have been watching drum corps in the parallel universe that BozzyB sarcastically referenced earlier.

Humor is the spice of life, my friend.

I agree. I said right after Academy scored an 80, they had no shot at Finals, imo.

I 'd add Troopers, Colts, Spirit, and all the others to that list as well.

The Glassmen are a perennial top 12 Corps, and there is no Corps that seems poised to knock them out. Glassmen might even challenge Madison Scouts.

Last year there was a tight race for that coveted 12th spot among 3-4 Corps

Not so this year. There is a substantial gap that appears insurmountable, especially when we're talking about overtaking quality Corps with long top 12 histories like the Glassmen and the Madison Scouts.

Agreed. Glassmen always seem the corps picked not to make it in, but historically they are a VERY bad bet not to make finals.

For the record I would love to see Colts, Academy, Crossmen, and Spirit all beating the snot out of each other for the Sat night show each with a legit shot, it would make things hella fun to watch, but until the "jump" happens, it's not realistic given the spread that has been maintained all season between the afore mentioned group and Glassmen/Madison. Late season changes/enhancements used to be a result of necessity, a desperate response to "holy #### this ending really isn't doing it, or there are major problems here that can't be addressed by cleaning". These days EVERY corps has late season tricks up their sleeve, to the degree of being strategically planned from the very beginning back in September creating a "we better have some impressive changes in late July/August if we don't want to get left in the dust" mentality in today's drum corps. The "wait for the changes" argument just isn't as potent as it used to be.

First off, if you think my support on here means anything to the kids in any corps, you are clearly misguided. I imagine that The Colts could care less what I have to say, and if they did, that would mean that they are watching and reading DCP instead of studying their music, their dot books, getting rest, and enjoying their summer. If that is the case then they have much bigger issues than trying to make top 12 IMO.

With all due respect (and I really mean that) if you think the kids in any of these corps don't pay attention to DCP and what you, or anyone else has to say about their performances and their programs, then I think you may be the one who is misguided. After all it is you, the fan population, that they are doing this for. The adulation and adoration of the fan is what drives them to succeed. If you are familiar with the mind of a performer, you'll know that it is pretty common for them to be consumed with what people think of them.

They do have smart phones on tour. They also have friends and family who are more than willing to tell them what people are saying about them. So yes, your support (and I did not mean you specifically but the fan population) really does count. And people who are so easily dismissive of a corps chances really does sting and become discouraging to kids who are working their butts off every day to get better. ESPECIALLY when tour is long, the weather is hot, the busses are getting that tour-stink about them, and the scores are going nowhere.

Of course your fan support means something to them. That is what they do this for.

HH

With all due respect (and I really mean that) if you think the kids in any of these corps don't pay attention to DCP and what you, or anyone else has to say about their performances and their programs, then I think you may be the one who is misguided. After all it is you, the fan population, that they are doing this for. The adulation and adoration of the fan is what drives them to succeed. If you are familiar with the mind of a performer, you'll know that it is pretty common for them to be consumed with what people think of them.

They do have smart phones on tour. They also have friends and family who are more than willing to tell them what people are saying about them. So yes, your support (and I did not mean you specifically but the fan population) really does count. And people who are so easily dismissive of a corps chances really does sting and become discouraging to kids who are working their butts off every day to get better. ESPECIALLY when tour is long, the weather is hot, the busses are getting that tour-stink about them, and the scores are going nowhere.

Of course your fan support means something to them. That is what they do this for.

HH

Wow. Ok.

If they are reading DCP and putting stock into what is said on here than there are much larger issues than the push for 12th. We are talking about kids needing extrinsic motivation here to succeed. Your post would suggest that what drives these kids are things that are largely out of their control like fan support, DCP reviews and predictions, and scores. If they are relying on these then they are not self motivated and that us a huge problem.

I don't know about you, but when I marched I didn't try to have a great show for the fans, I did it for me. This is not a Bon Jovi concert for crying out loud, it's marching band.

So, to all of the members out there reading DCP, please STOP! Go study your dot books, look at your music, get some rest, or better yet - talk to the person sitting on the bus next to you.

Colts are on the move. If anyone knows how to come in 12th, it is the Colts. Not saying who they might have to beat to get there, but just saying that they are pretty good at figuring out a way to make it into Finals.