1969 VFW Nationals Photo's

I am a veteran of the VFW nats, having attended a full dozen as a competitor or instructor. I have won titles at five of these, including Philly.

And I have absolutely no recollection of ANY group photos, 1960-1972.

Edited by HornsUp

Yes, I'm not familiar with there being official group photos taken at VFW or Legion events.

Certainly such major national shows like U.S. Open did do official group photos each year, but I've never seen any from VFW.

It apparently was not an official photographer who took the photo at VFW. That would mean it could have been just about anybody.

I was at VFW in 1969 and remember getting a corps photo taken just after we came off the field

(at about 8 am if I think). There was a set of bleachers that we stood on.

Whether this was an "official" photo I do not know but is listed on the Eau Claire drum corps web site as "1969 official photo".

www.ecdrumcorps.org under E C Boys 1969

Edited by bass5

There was the famous Drum Corps News front cover portrait shot of the Boston Crusaders from '69 (I think) that was taken by Moe Knox (not sure?). Most of the guys in the photo had their eyes closed.

Moe may have done such shots at nationals in those years.

I saw a BAC Group photo that was labeled "1969 VFW", though it was sunny, none of us has their eyes closed.

(the BAC photo was submitted by Snare Drummer Tony Smith)

It wasn't/isn't a complete photo of the entire Corps though....

Edited by TennTux

I saw a BAC Group photo that was labeled "1969 VFW", though it was sunny, none of us has their eyes closed.

Maybe the photographer that day had HIS eyes closed because he was afraid of you guys. :thumbdown:

My corps (Fitchburg Kingsmen) were at the VFW Nationals in Philadelphia in 1969. After Prelims we had a group photo taken.

I was there. There was indeed a group photo taken of each corps after their preliminary performance as they waited for their scores. Moe Knox was also there but he was not the photographer taking the group photos. Moe may have taken photos as the corps posed for the other photographer as I did. Nobody said a word to me as I took a photo of the 27th Lancers. I was traveling with them for Nationals. I know that at least one Lancer bought one of the professional photos from that day. I'll try to find out who the photographer was but if the print is not marked on the back, I think we're out of luck. I wish I had a better camera back then but its the best a 12 year old with no money could do. 27th69vfwgroup.JPG

My corps (Fitchburg Kingsmen) were at the VFW Nationals in Philadelphia in 1969. After Prelims we had a group photo taken.

I was there. There was indeed a group photo taken of each corps after their preliminary performance as they waited for their scores. Moe Knox was also there but he was not the photographer taking the group photos. Moe may have taken photos as the corps posed for the other photographer as I did. Nobody said a word to me as I took a photo of the 27th Lancers. I was traveling with them for Nationals. I know that at least one Lancer bought one of the professional photos from that day. I'll try to find out who the photographer was but if the print is not marked on the back, I think we're out of luck. I wish I had a better camera back then but its the best a 12 year old with no money could do. 27th69vfwgroup.JPG

Thank You for validating the photo's. I'm not sure who the person was that did the photo's but I do remember that they were for sale after prelims.

if we could only get a name of the person or company then maybe we can track down them and hope that they might still be available.

Thank You for validating the photo's. I'm not sure who the person was that did the photo's but I do remember that they were for sale after prelims.

if we could only get a name of the person or company then maybe we can track down them and hope that they might still be available.

Give Moe Knox a call at 203-874-1003 ... if it wasn't him, maybe he knows who took them ... or, he has othet pics of your corps ...

:-)