Family support for drum corps members

When I was at the ATL regional yesterday, as I was walking through the stadium to meet up with some friends, I found myself walking behind this little kid who would stop every couple of steps and salute. Future drum major? :worthy:

if you watch the allentown encore on Regiment's '08 On the Road DVD, there's a young boy just below the camera who conducts Elsa's the whole time they're playing. it's wonderful.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU for supporting your child in this manner. I was a band director for 31 years and I experienced many wonderful parents like you, but also way too many who simply could care less about what was really important in their child's life.

Will your child be marching again next year? If so, I would like to make a donation to SCV to directly help with his fees. I wish it could be a more significant amount, but it will be given with my appreciation for what you are doing.

Please feel free to PM me with his name...and THANK YOU!

My son picked up his first trumpet in the 5th grade, I thought, “Well wonder how long this will last?” By the 7th grade he was sold so I got him a better trumpet and a wonderful tutor. He never let me or himself down.

I regret with every fiber that I was not at all of his high school competitions but I did see a few. My daughter is the Capt. of Color Guard and a senior in high school; I have not missed a single show. She got accepted by BK but I said “NO.” I housed boys for years; I wasn’t ready to let her go yet but next year. Her brother is doing visual for BK this year but when he returns he will be teaching visual for her high school, a dream they both have shared.

The first year with BK was great ’98; good times and I had begun to travel to different cities to watch. Through Sound Machine I even hooked up and drank a beer with a few people. :lol: Every year I went to finals after that I travelled more to other shows as airline prices dropped..

Since BK was having trouble and several of the boys wanted to age out with a bang they auditioned and got spots on BD. One of the most memorable experiences of my life was after the final in Madison, “the age out” kids were putting mementos on the field, I got on the field and was taking pictures of everyone with all kinds of cameras; Just shear happiness and lot’s of tears. By this time my name was just Craig’s Mom.

As BD turned to leave the field and I yelled out “Good Bye, See you at the buses.” Tobias, the Drum Major, and several of the brass turned and yelled you’re walking out with us. They had seen me so many times in the practice stands; I did haircut runs and just had a great time with them so I guess they were serious. I looked at Craig and he just shrugged. I stepped it up and walked along side of them, as they entered the tunnel they all started singing California Girl, I was singing too.

I thought my heart was going to pop out, I was crying, what an honor to me. I will remember that for the rest of my life. In my wildest dreams did I ever dream I would be so honored to walk off a field after finals with BD, or any other corps for that matter? The energy, work, tears of the corps saying their good-byes…WOW :worthy:

I suppose that it all depends on the individual. Sometimes teenagers don't want their parents hanging around, while others will introduce their mom or dad to every kid in the corps. :worthy:

I had the honor to march Drum Corps from the time I was 8 until I aged out.....all those years with the same corps(The Barons of Steuben). I then went on to be the director. I married and had 5 wonderful children. My oldest came to me one day and said Dad I want to march drumcorps! It was just about that time I had been approached to start another corps(Spectrum). Well this prompted me to go for it. All of my children have marched drumcorps! At one point all were in the corps at the same time(what a wonderful experience that was). Two of my daughters marched Bluecoats(a quality organization that really cares for the members). During that time they all also marched winterguard or winterpercussion).

I have been fortunate that my kids carried on with the dream. My wife and I taught, coached and help to run all the groups they were in so that we could be with them and they with us. But there was also a side benefit.....we gained many more children as friends and loved ones.

I encourage parents to get involved if your children want to be a part of guard, corps or winter percussion. You have so much to gain and really nothing to lose except maybe some time. You can actually feel the excitment of the kids when they know that their parents are in the stands to watch them! Maybe its not your "thing" but its theirs and they are YOUR children. They need your support.

The hours that you spend with your children are something that you will cherish the rest of your life. Do it now!

Something that I didn't mention in my other post is that my daughter has used her drum corps knowledge to help others. Two years ago, she worked with a fellow corps member's local high school band as a visual tech. This past fall she volunteered with her old high school marching band as a visual tech. None of the three band directors in our district have strong marching backgrounds, so her drum corps experience came in handy. Last fall was the first time her old school's marching band won the competition. They actually swept all of the categories. The other band parents commented to me about how they loved to watch Erin work those kids and pass along that work ethic that she had leaned through drum corps. She commented later that winning those awards as an "instructor" meant more to her than if they had won when she was in high school. The maturity that she's gained through drum corps helped her to realize that helping someone else win can be even more satisfying than winning yourself.

Personally, that night was extra special because all three of my children were involved. Although, my oldest child is the only one to catch the drum corps bug, my son (senior-drum line section leader) and younger daughter (freshman-mellophone) were also in the band. The bond that the three of them felt that night after the competition was a once in a lifetime experience. It will never happen again in their lifetimes.

RANT ON Frankly, I do not understand why parents do not go out and support their children. As a teacher, I know that it is the students' experiences in these extra-curricular activities that prepares them for the world. These activities in which students must interact and deal with others "teach" more to students than anything we can teach in the classroom. (Plus, they do not have to answer any multiple choice questions to prove proficiency for these life lessons!!!!!) RANT OFF